Vote: Federal Magshok or Winchester supreme Loads?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ticklishtompro

Re: Vote: Federal Magshok or Winchester supreme Loads?

Postby ticklishtompro » February 4th, 2013, 9:14 pm

stankyolgobbler wrote:
Great replies guys. Thanks alot. Looks like I'm leaning to the winchesters but my buddy actually bought some fed magshok yesterday and said he would let me shoot one of his to pattern test against a winchester

That is the best way to do it!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 5th, 2013, 2:02 pm

i am a hands down FEDERAL MAG-SHOK HEVIWEIGHT supporter i mean i have shot both brands out of my gun so just because i have shot all my turkeys with federal mag shok turkey loads dose not make me only use them its the fact they are a much more quality product from the wads that hold the shot to what the wad dose to the pattern to the shot it-self to the velocity the pellets carry & the FPS they travel also they do not over-load there shell with 2 OZ in the HEVIWEIGHT loads & to me 2 OZ will pattern best at close range but will lose velocity faster down range as its the same amount of gun powder pushing almost to much load/pellets...

winchester are good but not as quality as say HEVI-13 #1 FEDERAL MAG-SHOK, #2 HEVI-13, #3 REMINGTON HD , #4 I GUESS WINCHESTER SUPREME?

the only time i ever shot at a turkey with winchester supreme i rolled the bird & it ran off so i guess that may be stuck in my head also but i let my gun & turkey choke pick the best load & FEDERAL MAG-SHOK HEVIWEIGHT 5s rip apart turkeys & coyote 7s fill your pattern well & do the job just fine out to 50 yards in my gun... they are worth a try they are worth every penny you spend on them like they say every shot counts!!!
at long or close range i love federal turkey loads!!!

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 6th, 2013, 8:37 am

I take you are talking about Lead and Not Heavier than lead.

Alot is going to depend on gun, choke or even if you have the ability to interchange chokes.

Winchester has had the best patterning lead loads for a while. The slower Supreme 2oz and 2.25 oz is a great performer and I would start with a choke in the 660-665 range. The Supreme HV is a great lead load as well, but likes to be choked tighter than the above load. My fathers gun is a monster with the HV for lead.. With that being said, I noticed Winchester has changed the wad in the HV and performance had went downhill.

The federal FCW can be very finicky..Results can be extremely different gun to gun whereas one gun might like super tight and one may loathe it.. There really is not a great starting point. It may serve to be a great load if you have a fixed choke gun..

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 6th, 2013, 1:54 pm

its lead or heavier/harder then lead shot witch is what all hevi shot is weighs more then lead is harder & travels as fast or faster thus carrys more velocity or knock down power... steel is harder but weighs less then lead so packs less of a punch & also dose not pattern well when over choked...

hevi shot dose not need as much constriction as lead dose that is true you dont want to over choke a hevi shot load... also there is some trouble with ported choke tubes & hevi shot but the new choke tubes are dealing with that & making ported chokes specific for hevi loads but they are pricey!!! safe with the FCW it dose not like ported choke tubes i dont either... i shoot a .665 gobble stopper by tru glo...

it has been a head to head tie for years between winchester & federal mag-shok turkey loads i feel federal passed up winchester once the FCW came into play & the once they added hevi shot with the FCW it was money... federal also makes a 2.0 oz load you just have to order them i used to shoot lead #5 1 3/4 oz now i shoot hevi #5 1 5/8 oz cant remember how much the 7s pack in the load???

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 6th, 2013, 4:49 pm

turkey junky wrote:\

hevi shot dose not need as much constriction as lead dose that is true you dont want to over choke a hevi shot load... also there is some trouble with ported choke tubes & hevi shot but the new choke tubes are dealing with that & making ported chokes specific for hevi loads but they are pricey!!! safe with the FCW it dose not like ported choke tubes i dont either... i shoot a .665 gobble stopper by tru glo...

it has been a head to head tie for years between winchester & federal mag-shok turkey loads i feel federal passed up winchester once the FCW came into play & the once they added hevi shot with the FCW it was money... federal also makes a 2.0 oz load you just have to order them i used to shoot lead #5 1 3/4 oz now i shoot hevi #5 1 5/8 oz cant remember how much the 7s pack in the load???

Do not say Hevi Shot does not like constriction. That was a myth perpetuated at the debut of the product and its coupling with Remington..It was mainly due to the newness of the product, the hardness of the pellet that created a safety concern and thus the suggestion of open choking. One of the first Hevi Shot load the 1 3/4 White hulled version performed best in constrictions of 640-655 depending on internal bore diameter.

The Flite Control wad is is largely portrayed as the biggest gimmick in shooting.. Federal does not load "hevi Shot" they load a different composition and weighs in at 15 g/cc whereas hevi shot is only 12 g/cc. Handloaders have proven time and time again that this shot loaded in a conventional shot cup can produce patterns much denser than a similar loading in the FCW wad.. The flite control wad may aid grand daddys old fixed choke shotgun, but it truly prohibits the abilities of the 15 g.cc shot.. Many a shooters have also tried to scrounge up any of the old Gold Box pre Flite Control Federal lead as they feel it is a better loading than the lead FCW.

As for porting and wad strippers with the FCW.. In the 20 gauge the bulk of shooters getting good results are through a choke with porting or a form of wad strippers (SSX, Indian Creek 555, Sum Toy 562)..

From what I can determine you are shooting the 1 5/8 Federal HW 5s? That loading only contains 204 whereas the 7s contain 353 pellets in the same oz loading.. Its kinda absurd with the penetration of this pellet they even make 5s or 6s for that matter considering the 7s will kill to I believe 68 yards in ballistic gelatin.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 6th, 2013, 5:26 pm

[/quote]
Do not say Hevi Shot does not like constriction. That was a myth perpetuated at the debut of the product and its coupling with Remington..It was mainly due to the newness of the product, the hardness of the pellet that created a safety concern and thus the suggestion of open choking. One of the first Hevi Shot load the 1 3/4 White hulled version performed best in constrictions of 640-655 depending on internal bore diameter.

The Flite Control wad is is largely portrayed as the biggest gimmick in shooting.. Federal does not load "hevi Shot" they load a different composition and weighs in at 15 g/cc whereas hevi shot is only 12 g/cc. Handloaders have proven time and time again that this shot loaded in a conventional shot cup can produce patterns much denser than a similar loading in the FCW wad.. The flite control wad may aid grand daddys old fixed choke shotgun, but it truly prohibits the abilities of the 15 g.cc shot.. Many a shooters have also tried to scrounge up any of the old Gold Box pre Flite Control Federal lead as they feel it is a better loading than the lead FCW.

As for porting and wad strippers with the FCW.. In the 20 gauge the bulk of shooters getting good results are through a choke with porting or a form of wad strippers (SSX, Indian Creek 555, Sum Toy 562)..

From what I can determine you are shooting the 1 5/8 Federal HW 5s? That loading only contains 204 whereas the 7s contain 353 pellets in the same oz loading.. Its kinda absurd with the penetration of this pellet they even make 5s or 6s for that matter considering the 7s will kill to I believe 68 yards in ballistic gelatin.[/quote]

i did call the federal mag shok heaviweight the correct name & not hevi shot icedturkes i do know its a blend & 1 of if not the most heavi? of all the heavier then lead loads out??? called it federal heviweight in my 1st post & was talking in general about HEAVIER then lead shot not liking to be over-choked not the federal heaviweight in specific...

i did also mention that many new choke tubes have solved or are solving the trouble they had with over-choke n you went into that in detail thanks for that...

most of us are not hand loaders so we go with what works best off the shelf & in my gun them gimic FCW carry a nice pattern well out past 50 yrds in other shot loads that is not the case i will get either holes in pattern or less over all pellets in target so??? i do shoot a remington 870 3 inch so???

the 7s in heviweight shot treated me very well last season i vouch for it will do the job out to 50-51 yards for sure!!!

icedeturkes knows his shot shells so he is the man to ask stankyolgobbler

mossyoakpro

Postby mossyoakpro » February 6th, 2013, 6:03 pm

I have always been a Winchester guy...I have shot them since day one. I am switching to Feds this year since I am moving to a 20 gauge gun and I will be using the Heavyweight load.

wvboy

Postby wvboy » February 7th, 2013, 11:13 am

If you are going to shoot the Federal's you should not use a ported choke tube to have a fair test of both shells.. the ported chokes are made to strip away the wads, but the Flight Control Wads for the Federal's are made to stay with the shot longer and should not have the wad stripped away coming out the barrel. Many people don't realize this and when they shoot the Federal shells they get crappy patterns because they are using a ported choke.. you need to shoot the federals with a non-ported choke.. either use the Manufacturer choke that came with the gun or any non-ported choke from Carlson etc.. you can also buy a specialty choke made for the Flight control wads from Tru-Lok now..
Take me home country roads

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 7th, 2013, 12:08 pm

One important thing you need to know is wheather your gun perfers a clean bore of a soiled bore. Some guns won't pattern worth a dang until you've shot a round or two through them, some pattern with a clean bore and won't pattern with a soiled bore. Knowing that is very important, knowing that is the first thing you need to determin even before you start to pattern which choke or load your going to shoot. You can find that out just by shooting some field loads through your gun.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 7th, 2013, 12:54 pm

wvboy wrote:If you are going to shoot the Federal's you should not use a ported choke tube to have a fair test of both shells.. the ported chokes are made to strip away the wads, but the Flight Control Wads for the Federal's are made to stay with the shot longer and should not have the wad stripped away coming out the barrel. Many people don't realize this and when they shoot the Federal shells they get crappy patterns because they are using a ported choke.. you need to shoot the federals with a non-ported choke.. either use the Manufacturer choke that came with the gun or any non-ported choke from Carlson etc.. you can also buy a specialty choke made for the Flight control wads from Tru-Lok now..

Not being argumentive and I know you are giving the manufacture recommendations..

But mine through three different 20 gauges as well as many others have been the exact opposite.. Two chokes that work a % of the time the Tru Glo SSX 550 and the Indian Creek Ported 555..

The SSX has 2 of the three things not recommended for best results with these shells wad stoppers and tight constriction. The 550 constriction is as tight as it gets basically in a 20, the raised wad stoppers are used to slow the wad and its rotation.

The Indian Creek has all 3 things that are not supposed to work with the FCW raised wad stoppers, porting and tight constriction..

My findings out of three different barrels a 7-8 different chokes as well as countless Fed Heavyweights, is the more and more I disrupt the wad in the manner it is intended to work the better patterns I get.. The FCW wad through the SSX has identical chunks taken out of each rear brake and the breaks are not fully opened.. Additionally when shooting the SSX the wads fall much further from the target than when using a conventional more open choke with no stoppers.. Testing a pile of chokes from the 550 SSX to an open un ported 575 Angle Port non ported the more I went about the conventional recommendation the better the patterns.

On a side note I did shoot a little the other day with the Tru Glo BOne Collector 555 which does not have raised wad stoppers, but a radical porting design.. Out of one gun it faired very well with the porting taking out chunks of the rear brakes and the wad falling well short of the target.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion