Counting Down

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ticklishtompro

Counting Down

Postby ticklishtompro » February 5th, 2013, 11:24 pm

The itch is starting to get really bad now. It is less than 2 months away for me and my first turkey hunt of the season. March 29 will be my first time out this year, and it will be a great hunt as always. This year even more so than ever. It will be with our Learn To Hunt, with a first time hunter, and with Curtis Goettsch of Mossy Oak and Woodhaven. A camera will be rolling and Lord willing we will be taping an ecstatic kid who just shot their first turkey. I have started playing with the calls and agravating my wife, but hey, that is part of my job. Plus this will be the first year that my youngest daughter gets to go turkey hunting. She is excited and can't wait.

So my question to all of you is, what are you most looking forward to this season? I know we all just want to get out there and do this thing we love so much. This thing that some people just don't understand. The reason we get up early(sometimes earlier on the weekends than we do for work all week) for countless days in a row. It is a marathon for some with as many weeks as possible we can hunt.

I look forward to the smile on that newbies face as they put that tag on the turkey for the first time, and know it probably won't be the last time. Knowing I just helped seal the deal, helped give them this disease I have. But a good thing it is!! It can't come soon enough!!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Counting Down

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 6th, 2013, 12:42 am

Right now I'm enjoying the slow time, things will get busy soon enough. March 16 is the calling contest in Kenosha, 3/30 is your Talk n Turkey expo, the weekend after is our LTH/Youth hunt, then a two week of calling for friends, then my season starts, the next week is the T&TH Hunt, then two more weeks of seasons after that.
I always enjoy the youth/learn to hunts, watching those new hunters get so excited about birds, nothing better. This year Shane will be filming the T&TH Hunt, so hopefully we'll have film of birds gettin smaked that week, last year his camera fried the weekend before and he couldn't get it fixed in time for the hunt. Keepin fingers crossed for this year.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 6th, 2013, 2:52 am

The main thing Im hoping to accomplish this season is to get all the kids a bird. I wish we had a Learn to hunt program down here like you all have. When I was their age the only wild turkey you would see around here was in a bottle.

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » February 6th, 2013, 8:26 am

Getting antsy myself, got the mouth calls out now & practicing.

I'm looking forward to my Dixie tour this year, planning to hunt in Georgia, Tennessee, & Alabama in early April. And it's local hunting from the end of April until Memorial Day weekend.

But the hunt I'm looking forward the most to this year is the NY youth season, April 20 & 21st. I'm taking my youngest boy, it's the last year he's eligible to participate. He's been with me before, had lots of close calls, just hasn't sealed the deal. I think I want him to kill a bird worse this year than he does.
Last edited by Uncle Nicky2 on February 6th, 2013, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 6th, 2013, 8:53 am

I've got a couple of new properties to hunt this year and I'm really looking forward to learning where the birds like to spend time during the season. Just because we've seen a few around doesn't necessarily mean they'll be in the same area (or even on the same property) come April 13th.

I'd love to be able to take my nephew hunting, but his school schedule and the distance between us will likely prevent it. He is consumed by video games and having him learn about reality & the outdoors would only help him.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 6th, 2013, 12:48 pm

My goals this season are to watch a bird hit the dirt with my best friend (havent done it has been years) looking forward to hunting with my dad. havent hunted with him in ten years, it will really be special. get my girlfriend a bird, and get at least 10 gobblers taking dirt naps on the campbell camera!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

mossyoakpro

Postby mossyoakpro » February 6th, 2013, 6:00 pm

I want my best friend to get his Osceola to complete his first Grand Slam....If he had gone with me last year like I encouraged him to do we could have doubled up and he would have his slam. I called in 2 Osceola longbeards last season opening week and I had to shoo the other one off of the bird I killed, only a 1 bird per day limit there. He could have easily whacked the other one with a stick if he wanted too....that's how intent he was on kicking his friend while he was down.

There's always this season...he is priority 1 for me this year!!!

shaman

Postby shaman » February 7th, 2013, 6:26 am

9 week 2 days 18 minutes, 24. . . 23 . . .22 seconds

Yes, I can wait but. . .

First off, I'll probably get back to camp sometime in the next three weeks. I'll start listening for gobbles in the morning. The Mooselette turned year old last weekend. Mommy and Daddy Moose have announced she's ready to come to turkey camp. So I'll have them down for at least part of the season.

I have a new digital sound recorder so I'll be out every morning I can making podcasts for y'all.

Not much else is new. I'm kind of hoping this season is just more of the same.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

turtledave

Postby turtledave » February 7th, 2013, 10:31 am

me and my 9 year old grandson are going to do a four day primitive camp and try to take a tom with my flintlock smoothbore,should be fun.
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tounge"
Mo. State Rep. for The Traditional Muzzleloading Association
member #277

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 8th, 2013, 12:53 pm

35 days untill the opener here in bama! i get butterflies thinking about it!
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion