Spring 2013 Properties

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stankyolgobbler

Spring 2013 Properties

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 4th, 2013, 11:27 pm

The season is close guys! I thought I'd share the images of the properties I have so far and strike up some pre-season conversation. These are mapped on Google Earth. I acquired these properties by asking permission. Here is a link to an article I wrote on the subject for the Wild Turkey Report and the images of the properties!

http://www.wildturkeyreport.com/turkey-hunting:-may-i
Attachments
frostmarlow.jpg
450 Acres
frostmarlow.jpg (380.79 KiB) Viewed 389 times
russelwilliamsplace.jpg
62 Acres
russelwilliamsplace.jpg (450.13 KiB) Viewed 389 times
bluesprings.jpg
157 Acres
bluesprings.jpg (237.44 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Last edited by stankyolgobbler on February 5th, 2013, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Uncle Nicky2

Re: Spring 2013 Properties

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » February 5th, 2013, 9:29 am

Looks like some good spots Sage.

Never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is the owner tells you "no". But I did watch a buddy get bit in the backside by an over-protective guard dog when we pulled up to a farmhouse to ask permission to hunt one time, I still crack up every time I think about it. Ripped his pants and drew blood, :lol: The farmer felt bad for him & let us hunt that day.

I don't know how things are in your neck of the woods, but around here it's pretty difficult to get permission to hunt deer or waterfowl on private land, but a lot of farmers and landowners could care less about small game & turkeys. Another guy I know makes it a point to find out what the landowners that give him permission to hunt like to drink or eat, and every Christmas gives them a bottle of wine, some smoked fish, or deer sausage. It's a LOT cheaper than paying for a lease, and they seem to love him.

retranger

Postby retranger » February 5th, 2013, 1:35 pm

I had tried google once for maps and didn't work well on my computer, images were very blurry. I did find another map site and it seems to work much better. You can zoom in and rotate views.
bing.com any one else ever used it.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 5th, 2013, 2:22 pm

i have only hunted florida so as for DEEP SOUTH TURKEY HABITAT i dont have as keen of eye to pic out good looking spots but to me them spots look pretty good write amount of woods & open edge type bugg n areas with nice little openings in the woods & on its edge for gobblers to strut around??? any cattle around or crops of any kind???? or oaks??? did you see turkeys at all these spots or are you scouting/hunting blind???

if it was me choosing wear i would hunt 1st would go scout or hunt blind it would be how you have the pics posted #1 would be 1st pic it just looks like a turkey hot spot to me!!! #2 would be the #2 pic just looks like alot of homes or buildings around so i may not like the spot hope they dont have hunters in the family folks change once they see you carry out a gobbler lol they say oh well my brother son uncle friend hunts & i promised him he could hunt here now... lol #3 would be your last pic you posted it just looks like 1 big woods & i really dont like hunting just the big woods im a field edge open country crops & creek type hunter that way i can at least narrow down wear birds will be or like to be by kinda looking over the land prior to the hunt or while hunting big woods you just cant do that... this spot is as good as that spot ETC. & turkeys can & will be spread out & more nomadic at least in my eyes... some folks love big woods so???

im using BING maps more to me they look more detailed & also i look at google,bing & yahoo maps to get a compare all to one another lol...

google earth dose not like me but it dose make it more simple to figure out you peaces of land you want to hunt once you do like stankyolgobbler did im just not that smart to load PDFs onto the map & do what these computer savvy hunters do with a computer... lol

i find my peace of public land i will be hunting on then i find a aerial photo on google/bing then i find the peace of land & print a picture of it & outline it so i know my boundaries ETC. then pick out what spots look like they would hold turkeys & i start my hunt at them spots...

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 5th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Myself I'd be cautious about what kind of pictures I post of my hunting spots. A lot of information can be gathered from them... As for the habitat it looks like fairly flat to me and a lot of small vegetation and either a tree farm or some propagated wood crop. The narrow strip of trees that run from Duncan pond north looks like a roost site with more big trees and I'd start somewhere on the north end of that narrow strip if I was going in blind, assuming turkeys are there. The draw leading down to the pond may be a good entry as well.
Last edited by eggshell on February 6th, 2013, 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

dewey

Postby dewey » February 5th, 2013, 3:51 pm

eggshell wrote:Myself I'd be cautious about what kind of pictures I post of my hunting spots, I would remove the coordinates. A lot of information can be gathered from them...for instance does XXX sound familar (I figured I would skip the state and county). I could also give you the landowners name . As for the habitat it looks like fairly flat to me and a lot of small vegetation and either a tree farm or some propagated wood crop. The big row of trees that run from XXX pond north looks like a roost site and I'd start somewhere on the north end of that narrow strip if I was going in blind, assuming turkeys are there. The draw leading down to the pond may be a good entry as well.

Like eggshell said I would remove the pictures and then repost them without the GPS coordinates at the bottom of the picture. Go into Google Earth and then under 'View' click on 'Status Bar'. Also be careful to not show road names or other identifiable items. I would hate to see someone be undercut by a hunter searching on the internet for a place to hunt.

Good looking properties you have there. Good luck on them this spring.

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on February 6th, 2013, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 5th, 2013, 5:06 pm

yes sir stankyoldgobbler remove all INFO as you can see some guys just like to blow your spot out of the water sometimes

me & dewey have had a similar chat B4 threw PMs lol
Last edited by turkey junky on February 6th, 2013, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 5th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Good luck to you hunting those places Sage. It looks like seriously good mixed habitat to turkey hunt. Wish I had that much land to hunt.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 5th, 2013, 6:56 pm

turkey junky wrote: if it was me choosing wear i would hunt 1st would go scout or hunt blind it would be how you have the pics posted #1 would be 1st pic it just looks like a turkey hot spot to me!!! #2 would be the #2 pic just looks like alot of homes or buildings around so i may not like the spot hope they dont have hunters in the family folks change once they see you carry out a gobbler lol they say oh well my brother son uncle friend hunts & i promised him he could hunt here now... lol #3 would be your last pic you posted it just looks like 1 big woods & i really dont like hunting just the big woods im a field edge open country crops & creek type hunter that way i can at least narrow down wear birds will be or like to be by kinda looking over the land prior to the hunt or while hunting big woods you just cant do that... this spot is as good as that spot ETC. & turkeys can & will be spread out & more nomadic at least in my eyes... some folks love big woods so???

Turkey Junky. I am actually familiar with these properties. Except for the 450 acre tract which I hunted next to last year, loaded with gobblers. I will rank them for you in amount of birds and best hunting.

#1. 157 acre tract
#2. 450 acre tract
#3. 62 acre tract

All have good hunting. I have killed 2 birds on the 157 (LAST YEAR) and it has the most birds. I killed 1 bird next to the 450 last year and it, as I heard, has almost as many birds as the 157 and more land to roam. I have killed 2 in 3 years off of the 62 acres and no one hunts it but me.

AND THANKS TO ALL FOR THE WARNING ABOUT THE LOCATION OF PICTURES! I DONT EXPECT ANYONE HERE TO TRY AND SEEK OUT THESE PROPERTIES BUT IT IS A GOOD PRACTICE JUST IN CASE SOME SORRY SUCKER WOULD DO IT(WHICH THEY WOULD BE IN A WORLD OF HURT IF THEY DID)
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 6th, 2013, 12:14 am

Sorry stanky, i wasn't trying to "PLOW OUT" your spot. I removed the info and hope dewey will edit his quote. My point was the information was there and anyone with a will to do it could easily do it. Thanks Turkey Junky for calling me out, I truly meant no harm. However, the point is now made to everyone, so mission accomplished.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion