How was the gobbling in your area?

gruntandgobble

How was the gobbling in your area?

Postby gruntandgobble » June 2nd, 2012, 10:47 am

Just curious, how was the gobbling this season for you PA guys? Here in the extreme southwest corner of the state it was almost non-existent the last two & a half weeks! As a matter of fact, after May 15th, the most gobbling I heard was 24 gobbles. (that was a good day!) That's unusual for me. I normally hear the gobbling pick back up a little around May 21st most seasons. It was definitely a rough season the last 2-1/2 weeks here in southwest PA.

BluMtnGobbler

Re: How was the gobbling in your area?

Postby BluMtnGobbler » June 2nd, 2012, 3:38 pm

I will agree, it was strange here on east side, at least the area I hunted. The first two weeks alot of gobbling, after that there was very little to none. I couldn't even fire up any hens. And the last two weeks very little signthat the birds were there.
Brian

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » June 6th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Hear in the northeast I was able to get gobblers gobbling every time out (except on a 2 hours morning hunt on the 9th) throughout the whole season. The 19th of May was my best gobbling day all season... It was a weird season though, they were gobbling where I was but not too interested in coming anywhere near me! I couldn't even get jakes to come in, when I called in 16 jake last season... Overall not a bad season even though I wasn't able to connect with a gobbler!

Yak

hunter177

Postby hunter177 » February 4th, 2013, 8:37 pm

This is not a knock on the PGC. That being said I wish the Game Commission would move Spring Gobbler up a month. My son and I open our cabin up the end of March or the first weekend in April and we almost always see birds and hear gobbles. By the second week of May in our area they have gone silent. I'd like to see it be either the last Saturday in March or the first Saturday in April to the second Saturday in May. Just my thoughts.
Mossberg 500 Turkey Gun 12 gauge
24" barrel, 3", Mossy Oak Infinity camo
Mossberg Accu-Choke XX-Full turkey choke
Winchester DoubleX 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 13th, 2013, 10:17 pm

The PGC. says they want the hens bred before the season opener that's why it's late if it was moved to mid April I dont think it would affect the turkey population. Last spring was very early and the breeding season was over before the hunting started. I agree they should consider this but I doubt if they will. Look at the mess they made out of the deer herd.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Return to Pennsylvania