Minnesota Gov't proposed bill H.F. No. 241

dewey

Minnesota Gov't proposed bill H.F. No. 241

Postby dewey » February 1st, 2013, 2:46 pm

To all of you hunters out there that have detachable magazines, pistol grips or thumbholes on your shotgun/rifle keep an eye on this bill and contact your legislator as needed. It is H.F. No 241 and this bill will list the following as an assulat weapon. Not surprisingly it is sponsored by representatives from the Metro area as well as one from Duluth.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill. ... ssion=ls88

I don't have any of these features on my shotgun or rifle but some might so I wanted to show this to all of the hunters in Minnesota. I try not to talk politics on this forum but I think this needs attention.

relating to public safety; establishing a crime for manufacturing, transferring, or
1.3possessing certain assault weapons
; providing for the disposal or registration of
1.4existing assault weapons; defining terms; classifying data; clarifying language;
1.5providing criminal penalties;amending Minnesota Statutes 2012, sections
1.613.87, subdivision 2; 624.712, subdivision 7, by adding subdivisions; 624.713;
1.7proposing coding for new law in Minnesota Statutes, chapter 624.
1.8BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:

1.9 Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2012, section 13.87, subdivision 2, is amended to read:
1.10 Subd. 2. Firearms data. All data pertaining to the purchase or transfer of firearms,
1.11the possession of assault weapons, and applications for permits to carry firearms which
1.12 that are collected by government entities pursuant to sections 624.712 to 624.719 are
1.13private, pursuant to section 13.02, subdivision 12 data on individuals.
1.14EFFECTIVE DATE.This section is effective September 1, 2013.

1.15 Sec. 2. Minnesota Statutes 2012, section 624.712, subdivision 7, is amended to read:
1.16 Subd. 7. Semiautomatic military-style Assault weapon. "Semiautomatic
1.17military-style Assault weapon" means any:

1.15 Sec. 2. Minnesota Statutes 2012, section 624.712, subdivision 7, is amended to read:
1.16 Subd. 7. Semiautomatic military-style Assault weapon. "Semiautomatic
1.17military-style Assault weapon" means any:
2.30(1) semi-automatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and
2.31has one or more of the following:
2.32(i) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
So a pistol grip or a thumbhole makes a gun dangerous?
2.33(ii) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
2.34nontrigger hand;
2.35(iii) a folding or telescoping stock; or
3.1(iv) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the
3.2barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being
3.3burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
3.4(2) semi-automatic pistol, or any semi-automatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle with a
3.5fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than seven rounds of ammunition;
3.6(3) semi-automatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and
3.7has one or more of the following:
3.8(i) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
3.9nontrigger hand;
3.10(ii) a folding, telescoping, or thumbhole stock;
3.11(iii) a shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the
3.12barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being
3.13burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
3.14(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the
3.15pistol grip;
3.16(4) semi-automatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:
3.17(i) a pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
So a pistol grip or a thumbhole makes a gun dangerous?
3.18(ii) any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the
3.19nontrigger hand;
3.20(iii) a folding or telescoping stock;
3.21(iv) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of seven rounds; or
3.22(v) an ability to accept a detachable magazine;
3.23(5) shotgun with a revolving cylinder; or
3.24(6) conversion kit, part, or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can
3.25be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.
3.26The term does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable.
3.27EFFECTIVE DATE.This section is effective September 1, 2013, and applies
3.28to crimes committed on or after that date.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Re: Minnesota Gov't proposed bill H.F. No. 241

Postby charlie elk » February 1st, 2013, 6:47 pm

Does this have a chance of passing?
My 10 yr old Grandson is going turkey hunting with me this spring here in WI. He like most kids is recoil sensitive so we're changing the stocks on a single shot HR to black forearm and pistol grip stock with recoil suppression stuff. So this would be considered an illegal gun in MN if this law passes?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » February 1st, 2013, 9:35 pm

charlie elk wrote:Does this have a chance of passing?
My 10 yr old Grandson is going turkey hunting with me this spring here in WI. He like most kids is recoil sensitive so we're changing the stocks on a single shot HR to black forearm and pistol grip stock with recoil suppression stuff. So this would be considered an illegal gun in MN if this law passes?

It depends if the gun is a semi automatic or not. Because we all know that semi automatic guns with pistol grips are 'bad' guns. :lol:
As for the chances of this passing the DFL controls the house, senate and the governor so in essence they can pass whatever they want. As for my personal opinion the authors of this bill are from the metro area, 3 of the 4, and the other is from Duluth. I think this bill will be very unpopular in out state Minnesota where the majority of Minnesota is more conservative. I have my opinion on gun laws but I will keep them to myself.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » February 2nd, 2013, 10:29 am

Dewey nailed it. This is pushed by politicians from the metro as a "feel good" bill for their constituents, most of whom couldn't tell you the difference between a shotgun and a rifle anyways. There has always been a disconnect between the metro and outstate Minnesota, I only see it growing larger.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 2nd, 2013, 11:47 am

1.3possessing certain assault weapons; providing for the disposal or registration of

That is the scariest line of the whole proposal. Register then "dispose"?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

dewey

Postby dewey » February 2nd, 2013, 2:06 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Dewey nailed it. This is pushed by politicians from the metro as a "feel good" bill for their constituents, most of whom couldn't tell you the difference between a shotgun and a rifle anyways. There has always been a disconnect between the metro and outstate Minnesota, I only see it growing larger.

Gopher you are right on when about the political landscape in Minnesota! All gun control does is in my opinion prevent honest people from possessing certain guns. I am sure all of the gang bangers in Chicago, Los Angeles and everywhere else will turn in their illegal firearms when the new laws come in to effect, yeah right.

I would imagine that these new gun laws will be ram rodded through in as many states as the Democrats control. I will say in my opinion there are certain proposed gun laws that should get passed, I.e. background checks for all gun purchases regardless of where they are purchased. However trying to stop crimes from happening by banning certain firearms is ridiculous.

Stepping down from my soapbox.

Dewey

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 2nd, 2013, 7:05 pm

this is a good time for HUNTERS/GUN OWNERS to stick together not divide farther due to RED/BLUE lines??? party bashing never helps i think thats what got our GOV wear it is today DIVIDED...

i think MN is just trying to follow like always the rest of the US at the moment after the senseless mass shootings???

would you turn in your guns to be disposed of??? i would never i would still use the weapon after the lame law was passed its that simple to me they are really crazy at the capital if they think that will pass with out a fight!!!???

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 3rd, 2013, 11:29 am

Other than make a contribution to the NRA as a NR there is not much I can do the help you guys out. So far I very happy this wrong headed thinking is not being proposed as law in WI. At least not on any serious level, yet.
As an outsider looking in, on the personal freedom front MN seems to be accelerating the decline.
Keep up the good fight.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » February 4th, 2013, 4:54 pm

A couple more authors were added to the bill. No shock here but they are all from the Minneapolis-St Paul metor area.

Here is a link to the authors of this bill.
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.p ... n=0&y=2013

Here is what the Public Safety Finance and Policy Committee Meeting Schedule is for this week.

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/comm/s ... comm=88022

Here is another bill to keep an eye on authored by pretty much the same people.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill. ... ssion=ls88

Here is a preview of this bill. No where in this bill could I see where the definition of a semiautomatic military-style assault weapon.

1.9BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:

1.10 Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2012, section 624.713, subdivision 1, is amended to read:
1.11 Subdivision 1. Ineligible persons. The following persons shall not be entitled to
1.12possess a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon or, except for clause (1),
1.13any other firearm:
1.14(1) a person under the age of 18 years except that a person under 18 may carry or
1.15possess a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon or other lawful firearm (i)
1.16in the actual presence or under the direct supervision of the person's parent or guardian,
1.17(ii) for the purpose of military drill under the auspices of a legally recognized military
1.18organization and under competent supervision, (iii) for the purpose of instruction,
1.19competition, or target practice on a firing range approved by the chief of police or county
1.20sheriff in whose jurisdiction the range is located and under direct supervision; or (iv) if
1.21the person has successfully completed a course designed to teach marksmanship and
1.22safety with a pistol or semiautomatic military-style assault weapon and approved by the
1.23commissioner of natural resources;

Dewey

       

Return to Minnesota