FANNING TURKEYS?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gouldshunter

Re: FANNING TURKEYS?

Postby gouldshunter » February 1st, 2013, 8:19 pm

I'm kind of torn use it don't use it guess it depends on the situation. another tactic not mentioned is rolling your decoys into a field "Bowling for Turkey" as they say I have seen this work tactic work well too.

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 1st, 2013, 11:15 pm

i agree with doing it. given the circumstance of private land and that it is off the edge of a big open area, because i assume it would be done most frequently for field turkeys, and that you could see if someone was around the area.
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » February 2nd, 2013, 3:18 pm

Views may still vary among many hunters as to doing it.

Theres no doubt its an effective way to get within range of a gobbler........whether he does the movement or you do...or both.....but fanning just from the field edge by turning and flipping the fan up can bring em across with out ever having to crawl a foot.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 4th, 2013, 10:58 am

i guess if you're sittn on a field edge and can't get one to come close enough, then fanning would be ok, but i just have a problem w/ crawling across a field w/ a fan waving about, whats the diff. w/ holding up a hen decoy and crawling to the turkey, just too risky in my book.....
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 4th, 2013, 12:49 pm

The difference with using a hen decoy instead of a fan, is that the gobbler will stay put and wait for you to get there, with a fan closing in on his domain, he feels challenged and will come to confront the indruder.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 4th, 2013, 2:34 pm

with all due respect, thats not neccessarily so, i'll agree thats how it's supposed to work, but i'm sure you would agree that nothing works all the time.....ie: a subordinate tom may run away, i know you've seen gobblers follow a hen around like he's on a leash, if he's by himself, and " lonely " i would think he may come over to get him some.....i may have tried this in my younger days, but i feel confident enough in my abilities, nowadays, that the risk outweighs the reward imo.....you can't kill one everday......but, hey, to each his own
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 10th, 2013, 9:07 pm

I don't oppose it if it's your cup of tea, as I don't like others to pass judgement on the way I choose to hunt. Just like using a strutter decoy, it can be very dangerous so take please take that into consideration.

To me, the ultimate challenge is to sneak within shooting range of a henned up boss gobbler that ignores calling with nothing but perseverance in tow. Decoys and fans cater to a bird's instincts but a flat out sneak has to fool many sets of eyes and ears.

The most rewarding hunts I've had often took several hours of crawling across ditches, standing water and open pasture with little to no cover. Just what I like to do and am very good at.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 11th, 2013, 11:49 am

I'm not sure if I want to take the chance of fanning. There can be trespassers around, even on posted land and there's no telling what they might do. I think fanning is a pretty interesting technique, its probably not for me though. I guarantee you get an adrenalin rush anytime you get turkeys to react as close as they can by hunting that way.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

RockyMtnGobblers

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » February 15th, 2013, 5:21 am

Dont like it and wont use it.
It aint the killin it's the challenge of the Hunt.

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » February 15th, 2013, 9:44 am

I saw tis on tv too.I suspect a bunch of young run and gunners will be using this tactic for "kill at all cost" this spring.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion