Help.....

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

Re: Help.....

Postby dewey » January 31st, 2013, 11:18 pm

So the wifey, my little man and I are sitting at the restaurant and I start making some crude yelps and then my little man starts trying to do the samething. The wifey gives me the look, all married men know what I am talking about, and I say wait until he is older and we will be in the basement together practicing our calls for months before the season starts. She wasn't impressed :lol:

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 1st, 2013, 1:19 am

Dewey, my daughter is 5 and I will give her a slate call or a wingbone call and we will pratice. My wife will give me that look and all I can do is laugh and say "What? She's got to learn sometime." The look only gets longer and deeper but its still fun.
Is it turkey season yet?

dewey

Postby dewey » February 1st, 2013, 12:05 pm

kygobbler wrote:Dewey, my daughter is 5 and I will give her a slate call or a wingbone call and we will pratice. My wife will give me that look and all I can do is laugh and say "What? She's got to learn sometime." The look only gets longer and deeper but its still fun.

Now that is the look I am talking about!!! That is awesome. How long before your daughter goes hunting with you or has she already?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » February 1st, 2013, 5:10 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:I'd bet he was talking about a spearing decoy. Spearing northern pike through the ice is popular here up north. the decoys are typically fish shaped and painted a variety of colors to attract the attention of pike (Just google "spearing decoy"). You cut a large hole (2ft X 4ft or so) and set your shack up over it. Put the decoy down, and stand there waiting for pike to come check it out. this tends to work best in shallow weedy areas, and you obviously need decent water clarity. When a pike swims in to check out the decoy, wham you hit'um with the spear (or try to anyways). I do not spear, but I do take ice fishing pretty seriously (it's very popular around here). I usually get out a couple nights a week after work and a day on the weekends as well. Has the added benefit of passing the time till turkey season starts up again.

I do not like spearing and don't approve. It's not sporting and really takes little school. Most people won't shoot a turkey off the roost, why spear a fish then that is right below you brought in my a decoy. Catch em with rod and reel is how it should be done, or on a tip up.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 2nd, 2013, 4:04 am

dewey wrote:Now that is the look I am talking about!!! That is awesome. How long before your daughter goes hunting with you or has she already?

I took her back in October. To make a long story short we scattered about 50 turkeys by using the truck and driving thru the middle of them. We setup to call them back in and after making a couple of calls she starts coughing, she had been sick all week and was just getting over it. I decide to head back home because of her cough. She stays at the setup to play in the dirt and I walk 10 feet from her and hear a soft putt. Uh oh I turn around and my daughter is looking at me and there is a hen 5 feet behind her. I whisper turn around she goes what. Another hen shows up. I whisper again and get the same response and another hen shows up. I whisper again and she does a ballarina spin and stops looking right at me. Another hen shows up. So I get her to walk to me as I to her and when she gets to me there are 10 hens in view. I go to turn her around and they flew off.

She didnt see the birds but she does have the turkey addiction in her. I cant wait till she gets her first bird.
Is it turkey season yet?

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » February 2nd, 2013, 10:17 am

Mossberg835 wrote:I do not like spearing and don't approve. It's not sporting and really takes little school. Most people won't shoot a turkey off the roost, why spear a fish then that is right below you brought in my a decoy. Catch em with rod and reel is how it should be done, or on a tip up.

Have you ever tried darkhouse spearing? It is not as easy as you might think. To each their own. People shoot pike with rifles during the open water season in VT...

hootowl

Postby hootowl » February 2nd, 2013, 10:36 pm

kygobbler
Me 2, I am planning on coming down and get my season started early, and hunt are Farm In Ky, April 15, and then I will have 2 weeks till our season starts here In Indiana, I only started hunting Turkey's 3 years ago, and I am some ate up with it. I want to come down to the NWTF this year in Nashville, went to it 2 years ago, and Really enjoyed it, But It will just get me fired up, and I will have to wait, wait, and wait.....Best Of Luck this Year all.

Hoot

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » February 3rd, 2013, 3:06 am

Gopherlongbeards wrote:
Mossberg835 wrote:I do not like spearing and don't approve. It's not sporting and really takes little school. Most people won't shoot a turkey off the roost, why spear a fish then that is right below you brought in my a decoy. Catch em with rod and reel is how it should be done, or on a tip up.

Have you ever tried darkhouse spearing? It is not as easy as you might think. To each their own. People shoot pike with rifles during the open water season in VT...

No I have not but I have seen videos of it and I don't like it. You don't have to fool a fish persay to spear it just make the motion and wala, to catch a fish on rod and reel u have to fool it into biting. Yes u use a decoy for spearing but it's not the same. I don't think people should be shooting pike with rifles either. And kygobblet that's awesome man, it's so cool when people get there children into the outdoors.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

grizzly

Postby grizzly » February 3rd, 2013, 9:54 am

i have to agree with mossy on the sporting issue. down here i have a swamp that are full of fish of many kinds and i have some friends who bow hunt for carp, alot of them get up to three feet in lenth while this practice is leagle and it is their choice but i can't get into it. i much more prefer to fly fish for them a poor mans tarpon if you will...wayne

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 3rd, 2013, 3:30 pm

I had to go to down today and took a side road to go around and saw 12 gobblers in a field. I stopped on the road and watched them for about 5 mins. I went about 100 yds and I see 4 big gobblers in the field. One gobbler was trying to pick a fight with another one. He krpt on circling the tom and going into half strut and bumping in him. I watched them for another 10 mins and decided I need to go and get my errands done. When I came back through the 4 gobblers were only 30 yards from the road and that one gobbler was still picking on the other. They all looked like 3 yo birds and had some pretty good ropes on them. I drove down the road hoping to see the other 12 but they were not in sight but I did see 2 hens walk into the field. Kinda surprised me that it was only 2 of them but I do like those odds for this spring. To bad I cant hunt that field.
Is it turkey season yet?

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion