VEST ON? OR OFF?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
cahaba

Re: VEST ON? OR OFF?

Postby cahaba » January 30th, 2013, 11:11 am

I usually leave mine on. It has some padding in the back that helps a little. I don't hunt out of a blind but if I did I wouldn't wear a vest while I was in it. I have a Super Elite III but I just bought a Limbhanger and a water bladder to fit in it for those hot days down south.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 30th, 2013, 4:47 pm

I'm a vest on kinda guy. Force of habit I suppose. Just as sure as I take it off, I'll need to get something from one of the pockets. I take it off if I need to run & gun.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » January 30th, 2013, 5:25 pm

My vest hardly ever comes off....I may un-snap the front because the pockets hang down and I can reach things better but it doesn't come off

I'm way more comfortable in it ...padded backing and seat and anything I might want to reach is right there......plus...I'm ready to jump up and move in seconds if I need to.

And in some places I've hunted..its served as snake bite protection from the blind side

And in a way its kind of like when I used to work with my tools...I had to have my nail bag on to think about what I was going to do next :D
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 30th, 2013, 7:37 pm

For me, it depends on the time of season and time of day. My season is open for 1.5 months. March can start with frost on the ground while late April can have afternoons in the upper 80s. A few years back I bought a Tactial Tatr from Cabellas. It's made for turkey hunting but can be bulky, it is comfortable and has easy access to all the pockets, the back is padded, and has a couch cushion to sit on. I will even wear it for comfort in a deer stand. I can carry snacks and drinks. I almost always start the day with it, the temps (not the birds) dictate keeping it on all day.
South Carolina Low Country

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » January 31st, 2013, 10:56 am

For me, it all depends on the situation. The majority of the time, my vest is off. If I have time to take it off after he gobbles, it comes off. Otherwise, it is on...especially if I am running and gunning.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » February 1st, 2013, 1:21 am

i didnt buy a cabelas super tactical tater vest with the massively thick seat to take it off and sit on the ground :) i leave it on, maybe in a blind with a chair to sit in id take it off, but not out in the woods with no blind
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 1st, 2013, 1:43 am

maybe i didnt mention B4 that my vest also has a seat cushion that i rest against the tree wear my back meets bark & i also carry a old camo boat cushion that attaches to my vest ez & thats what my butt sits on instead of on the bare hard bumpy ground both work just fine when the vest is sit n on the ground next to me??? if they did not work while not on my back i would not own the vest...

my main reason for wearing a vest is to keep my calls on my person when im walking around & binos & for tote n a turkey back hands free once & if i do kill a gobbler i like the red butt look after i kill a gobbler but its much more simple on a long walk back to the truck when the turkey is tucked nicely in my vest... it helps when you kill more then 1 bird at a time also...

i think out of the 20 something birds ive tagged i only killed 1 with my vest on my back? & thats only cuz i walked up on him in a field & was pinned down the hole time the bird worked in to my calling...

a vest also helps me tote a decoy if i choose to take one with on the hunt with me witch is not very often at all... my vest also kinda hinders me from crossing fences but i still wear it...

love to hear everybody thought on the subject

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 1st, 2013, 11:11 pm

I have seen a few people mention they take their vest off to run and gun....maybe I'm confused, but where I'm from, having a vest on is one of the MAIN essentials in the art, if you will, of running and gunning. yea, you can move easier, but you will be WAAAAAY less comfortable and less prepared when the gunning part arrives! you never know what you will need or what your setup will call for on a particular bird. why risk NOT having it?
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » February 2nd, 2013, 9:41 am

stankyolgobbler wrote:I have seen a few people mention they take their vest off to run and gun....maybe I'm confused, but where I'm from, having a vest on is one of the MAIN essentials in the art, if you will, of running and gunning. yea, you can move easier, but you will be WAAAAAY less comfortable and less prepared when the gunning part arrives! you never know what you will need or what your setup will call for on a particular bird. why risk NOT having it?

I guess maybe "run & gun" needs a definition?

To me its moving along and calling trying to locate a gobbler. Maybe call, then move 200 yards and call again, and so on until you locate some turkeys. Thats the way I have always thought of it.

I could never leave my vest while doing that as I need the stuff thats in it. Besides, then I would have to go back and get it if I left it somewhere. :P
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion