Turkey sounds on CD for commuting...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dewey

Turkey sounds on CD for commuting...

Postby dewey » January 30th, 2013, 1:23 pm

So I realize that I need to become a better caller, learn when to use the calls and what they mean to the enemy, err turkeys :D The Rio's from last spring have caused me to examine where I am weak at in turkey hunting and I think my biggest weakness is calling.

Can anyone recommend a CD that I can play in my car while driving to work so I can practice with a mouth call? Something to the effect of this is a yelp....yelp sound...it is used by turkeys to ...Here meathead behind the wheel you try it.

Thanks for the help.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Chief Many Longbeards

Re: Turkey sounds on CD for commuting...

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » January 30th, 2013, 2:00 pm

does T&TH sell them?
i know i have seen calling CDs at the wing supply and midwest turkey call supply sites
heres a couple links (hope stephanie is ok with it :D)...
http://www.wingsupply.com/categories/dv ... y-cds.html
http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/detail ... lid=090712

shaman

Postby shaman » January 30th, 2013, 2:58 pm

The best CD I can recommend is Spittin' Feathers by Mike Battey

http://www.wildtalker.com/WildTalker/Sp ... rs_CD.html

Mike is on here as well as the CallDoctor

Of course, you're welcome to check out my podcasts on my weblog-- lots of wild turkey sounds on them. See my signature line for a link.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 30th, 2013, 3:09 pm

shaman wrote:The best CD I can recommend is Spittin' Feathers by Mike Battey

http://www.wildtalker.com/WildTalker/Sp ... rs_CD.html

Mike is on here as well as the CallDoctor

Thats a good one I have it. For $10.00 (shipped if I remember right) I think its a bargain.

Here is a post made a while back that talks about it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14381&p=112531#p112531
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

dewey

Postby dewey » January 30th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Would anyone recommend the "Real Turkeys II, III, IV, V and VI" CD's by Lovett Williams? There are numerous CD's and the description from the CD's below sound like what I am looking for, thoughts?

http://www.lovettwilliams.com/prod_cd_all.html

Real Turkeys II: Fall Calls of the Wild Turkey reveals the turkey's vocabulary during the fall with explanations about the functions of the calls and examples of young and old, hens and gobblers. A must for fall turkey hunters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Turkeys III: Spring Calling reveals the turkey's vocabulary during the spring hunting season with explanations about the functions of the calls and examples of young and old, hens and gobblers. A must for spring turkey hunters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Turkeys IV: “How to Call Turkeys” presents recorded examples of the wild turkey’s calls used in hunting. The examples include the lost whistle, kee-kee & kee-kee-run, the unique kee-kee-run of the jake, calling by the hen to silence her brood, assembly yelping of the hen, lost yelping of hens and gobblers, alarm putting, plain clucking, plain yelping of hens in spring and plain, and other calls used and heard in hunting. The instructional narration covers spring hunting as well as fall hunting and answers to the most frequently asked questions about how to call in wild turkeys. This is the most instructional of the recordings in the Real Turkeys series

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Turkeys V: Advanced Calling for Spring Hunting reveals the turkey's vocabulary during the spring with explanations about the functions of the 13 calls useful in spring hunting and the 4 calls that every successful turkey hunter should master. A must for spring turkey hunters.

Real Turkeys VI: "Sounds for Turkey Hunting,” presents typical examples and some variations of the 13 turkey calls normally used or heard in hunting plus longer recorded passages of turkey waking up on the roost using the tree yelp, the “spring jake yelp” of jakes on the roost yelping in response to gobbling, group calling on the roost by more than 60 turkeys in the flock, sounds of a gobbler scratching in the leaves, drumming and associated sounds of strutting, the “hush” call of the hen to quieten her young, and versions of barred owl hooting. All sounds were recorded in the wild.

Thanks for the help!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 30th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Mike's and Lovett's tapes are both great, either one will help you profect your calling. They both will help you with the rhythm or cadence of a birds calling, which IMO is the most important part of calling, in the field or on stage.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 30th, 2013, 10:37 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Mike's and Lovett's tapes are both great, either one will help you profect your calling. They both will help you with the rhythm or cadence of a birds calling, which IMO is the most important part of calling, in the field or on stage.

X2
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

dewey

Postby dewey » January 30th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I am going to order the Livery Williams CD's, find a mouth call and then start practicing.

Dewey

       

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 31st, 2013, 3:17 pm

I have

Tree Top Turkeys versions 1, 2 and 3
Wild Talker Spittin Feathers.
Lovett Williams V
HS Strut Real Talk DVD CD Combo

IMO the tree top turkeys are by far the best.. They have just plain a ton of very quality audio that has every vocalization imaginable as well as a good amount of interaction between gobblers and Hens.. Version 3 has a CD dedicated to Jubilee type calling and a CD with 100s of individual vocalizations.. The 2nd Version has former members of the Woodhaven Crew whom are comp callers giving their throughts on the audio.. The HS strut Real Talk is very good as well, its very short however, but the examples are very good..

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion