VEST ON? OR OFF?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkey junky

VEST ON? OR OFF?

Postby turkey junky » January 29th, 2013, 9:49 am

just wanted to know if im alone on this one again guys i watched a turkey hunting show the other day & the guy was wearing his turkey vest after he had already set up on a bird & was waiting he was not running & gunning or on the move he was just sit n there waiting & he kept his turkey vest on the hole time then went on to say he could not get a shot at a bird cuz he was kinda hung up in the fence/tree wear he was sit n... i then watched a BOW HUNTER in a blind wearing a turkey vest while still in the blind??? is that dumb to anybody else but me???

i have a routine once i set up on a turkey i pull my face mask up from around my neck wear it stays once i hit the woods put my gloves on take off my vest pull out witch ever call im going to want to use besides my mouth call & set up facing the most likely direction i think the bird gobbling will come from... i have been hung up caught in tangled with & stuck in every kind of bush schrub fence & branch u can imagine so i learned to get the bulky vest off my back once i sit down & eliminate any reason or excuse i can to not to kill a bird so i dont wear my vest once i set up i then reverse the set up routine once i go to leave the last spot i set up...

but a guy wearing a turkey vest in a pop up blind is just dumb to me??? as is blaming your vest for catch n you & prohibit you from shooting a turkey just take it off & you fine...???

what are your feelings on wearing a vest threw out your entire hunt??? good idea? or bad idea?

Gopherlongbeards

Re: VEST ON? OR OFF?

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 29th, 2013, 10:36 am

I'm a vest wearer. only take it off if I need to make a crawl to get into position on a bird. But then again, mine has a seat attached to it so if I want to sit I need to wear the vest.

retranger

Postby retranger » January 29th, 2013, 10:41 am

I wear mine all the time, except to take the decoy out of the back pocket, if someone is hunting with me I have him that it out. Never had a situation where I could blame the vest for anything.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 29th, 2013, 11:16 am

Mine stays on but I rarely use a pop blind and then it depends if I take it off. My vest is very comfortable easy to move in, if it wasn't I wouldn't own it. Perhaps the TV celeb was being paid to wear his? I take the gear recommendations of paid celebs with a grain of salt. Most of the time it seems "Pro Staff - Pro Hunter" is just another way of saying salesman. BTW, there is nothing wrong with sales it is an honorable profession we consumer just need to stay aware. Probably just screwed my chance of ever turning "pro". :lol: But hey its between seasons I have a tendency to ramble...
Sometimes even in circles talking to myself in turkey lingo... yelp, yelp, yelp
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 29th, 2013, 11:21 am

I don't wear a vest, and part of that is just what this is all about. I don't want to jangle.

I switched over a decade ago from a vest to . . . well, let's face it: it's a purse.

The technical term for it is a messenger bag. I take it off when I sit down. The flap opens up and gives me a nice dry spot for putting my calls. I used to be able to tell you a sure place to buy the exact model I have, but now the best I can do is point you towards Amazon.com and tell you to search "Everest Camo Messenger bag" Figure $10-$12.

Additionally, I have a musette bag for the big bulky stuff like the dekes, the rain suit and the lunch.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 29th, 2013, 11:40 am

I always take mine off and lay it down beside me, and lay the calls I'm using on it to keep them easy to grab and dry. There has been a few box calls and strikers getting broke because a hunter sits in them. On warm days it's nice to get that hot bulky vest off and sit there cooler. You can also get stuff out of your vest a lot easier with it laying beside you.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » January 29th, 2013, 11:43 am

I do not hunt out of a blind, I am moble so, my vest stays on all the time.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

dewey

Postby dewey » January 29th, 2013, 11:59 am

Gopherlongbeards wrote:I'm a vest wearer. only take it off if I need to make a crawl to get into position on a bird. But then again, mine has a seat attached to it so if I want to sit I need to wear the vest.

I am the exact same way Gopher. This year I will be brining a gobbler lounger with me to make things a little more comfortable but other than that the vest is always on me unless I am hunting out of a blind then I take it off to sit in the chair I brought.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » January 29th, 2013, 12:57 pm

i leave my vest on the majority of the time, it will come off later in the season, in the afternoon if i'm going to be sittn/waiting awhile[ but so do my boots, HOT !!].....last year was the first year i hunted out of a tent blind [ they are marvelous on a rainy day ] i do recall sitting in the chair w/ the vest on, not too bright, it hangs on the chair now.....
David

You never know, unless you go

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 29th, 2013, 1:03 pm

The vest I currently use I like to take it off after I get setup because it is a little thick and kinda hard to move around in when you are sitting.. When I was using the Elite 3 vest I kept it on untill I got back to the truck. If I ever wear this vest out I will be going back to the Elite 3 because sometimes its aggervating taking it and putting it back on again thru out the day.
Is it turkey season yet?

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion