Predator Control

charlie elk

Predator Control

Postby charlie elk » January 28th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Since the turkey season's closed 12/31 I have been out recruiting trappers for the areas I hunt. There are way too many predators of all types around. Some we can't do anything about like eagles, hawks and owls but raccoons, fox, coyotes can be cut down to size. Personally I don't care to trap any longer so I went to the public areas in search of trappers. Boy did I find some very grateful to meet me trappers. Some have been given access to my land and the surrounding neighbor's land. Other trappers I introduced to the farmers and foresters who grant me permission to hunt their land. Some of the trappers are young men with little experience so I gave them some of my old traps to expand their lines with and a little mentoring on technique.

The trappers who were once competing for a limited resource on public land now are going for a plentiful resource on private land with no competition and we have all become friends. Well I am sure the predators are not too happy as there are hundreds of their hides stretched and drying. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Re: Predator Control

Postby turkey junky » January 30th, 2013, 3:00 pm

good man charlie i have no love for predators i have killed 2 red fox so far this yr trying to make a living off my bantum chickens quail & pheasants!!! click boom solved that!!! got 1 coyote also!!! my brother trapped 1 red fox also so them red fox must be on the increase around my area!!!??? seen a ton up north last yr while grouse hunting also while drive n the roads at evening... i used to like red fox when they were less common but now they are a sneaky pest!!!

wish i could get a handfull of hawk tags lol them hawks love the taste of chicken!!! lol maybe i have to adopt a flock of crows to help keep hawks at bay???

charlie elk

Re: Predator Control

Postby charlie elk » January 31st, 2013, 5:09 pm

This year I saw herds of raccoons and figured something had better be done before nesting season.
The crows may keep the hawks and owls at bay but crows raid turkeys nests too. It's a rough life out there.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin