Catalogs

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ticklishtompro

Catalogs

Postby ticklishtompro » January 26th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Got the Cabelas Spring Turkey Catalog in the mail today, the Midwest Call Catalog came a little while ago, Macks Praire Wing, and several others.

Just makes the itch a little worse!!! But March 29 will be the first hunt of the year, going to come up quick.

What's your favorite Spring Catalog that comes? I like the Mack's Praire Wing, although that's not where I usually order from.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

kygobbler

Re: Catalogs

Postby kygobbler » January 27th, 2013, 12:01 am

I like Cabelas the best but the one I order from the most is Wingsupply. You can usually find stuff cheaper from them.

ticklishtompro wrote: I like the Mack's Praire Wing, although that's not where I usually order from.

I never heard of them so I looked at their website. I looked at their turkey decoys and my mouth dropped. The first decoy I saw was Dave Smith's decoys and man they are expensive to say the least. Just out of curiosity, who is Dave Smith and why are they so freakin expensive? Do they have a guarantee on them that will bring in a gobbler everytime you use them? :roll:
Is it turkey season yet?

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 27th, 2013, 8:49 am

I believe the Dave Smith decoys are the only hard bodies available(Non-collapsible). They are extremely detailed in every way with taxidermy eyes, etc., look more lifelike than just about any other decoy and have set the standard for years.

Having said that, other companies are rapidly gaining on them as the technology improves. The Avian X series that I have have tremendous detail that I would compare to the Smiths but they are collapsible/inflatable.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

retranger

Postby retranger » January 27th, 2013, 9:00 am

I like any of the spring catalogs,,that means that 30 below temps may be leaving.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » January 27th, 2013, 9:30 am

I like the Cabelas spring turkey catalog. Just ordered midwest catalog. comeon spring!!!
Brian

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » January 27th, 2013, 11:56 am

kygobbler wrote:I never heard of them so I looked at their website. I looked at their turkey decoys and my mouth dropped. The first decoy I saw was Dave Smith's decoys and man they are expensive to say the least. Just out of curiosity, who is Dave Smith and why are they so freakin expensive? Do they have a guarantee on them that will bring in a gobbler everytime you use them? :roll

Yeah, they are expensive, the DSD decoys look nice, I go with the Avian X, I think they are just as lifelike, cheaper, and you can deflate them.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 27th, 2013, 3:17 pm

I hate getting Spring catalogs, even though I love looking through them. It tempts me to spend money on stuff I don't really need, though there's always something in 'em that I want. Ammo and new camo are about all I really need...though I just counted and I have 140 rounds of turkey shotshells. Looks like I do need to go to the range soon. That should take the edge off for a little while-or make things worse, one.

I am having trouble finding M.O. Bottomland pattern in Trek-Lite fabric. Mossy Oak shows it on their website and Mac's P.W. used to carry it. I'll keep searching. If anybody out there knows, please share. Thanks!

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 28th, 2013, 7:09 am

did russel athletic make that trek lite??? i think MOSSY OAK dose not do biz with them any more so they may be called something new now??? i think i got some pants that the legs zip off in that trek lite series??? they had it last year in bottom lands? i got obsession i think?

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 28th, 2013, 8:51 am

The internet has kinda ruined the whole catalog anticipation thing for me.. But with that being said, George at Midwest as done a great job for many years assembling calls outside the box store variety.. There customer service and shipping is top notch as well..

shaman

Postby shaman » January 28th, 2013, 9:44 am

I was going to say exactly the same thing. Midwest is about the only place I have been ordering from, and I almost always go to the online store.

Being off work 2.5 years really wrecked me for catalogs. I deliberately stopped reading them, because I knew there was nothing in there I really needed. Actually, it became a challenge unto itself just to see how little I could spend on hunting and still get by. This year, I have zero plans to buy anything except licenses, tags, and ammo.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion