learning new land in summer suggestions?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Cut N Run

learning new land in summer suggestions?

Postby Cut N Run » June 22nd, 2012, 8:20 pm

I recently obtained a new piece of property to turkey hunt and wanted to learn as much about it as soon as possible. Summers around here are usually brutally hot & humid and the woods are filthy with ticks & chiggers, but I still plan to go bust some brush to find out what I can. I have been studying that land with satellite maps online, but that is no substitute for putting boots on the ground. I don't have deer hunting rights there and I won't be going in there anywhere near deer season because I don't want to mess things up for the guys who deer hunt those woods, just like I don't want them putting unnecessary pressure on the turkeys right before the season starts.

Experience tells me to learn what I can and check out the distinct features (ridges, draws, & creek bottoms) and mark them on a topographic map, then go back in Winter to really learn the land when the leaves and bugs are gone. If anybody has any suggestions that might help, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: learning new land in summer suggestions?

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 23rd, 2012, 10:40 am

Talk with the guys that do deer hunt it, and gain the info that they can tell you about where the birds in that area roost, and where they see them in the afternoons. That will give you a good idea of where the birds are moving on that land without ever setting foot on it. Between the info they give you and your satellite maps, should give you a good starting point without beating the brush to death. Then when winter arrives you can get in there and view the lay of the land and good setup spots.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 24th, 2012, 9:23 am

ditto what scott says, years ago when i hunted w/ a club that pushed deer w/ dogs, i would find the " dog man " for the day, after the deer drive was over for the day, and find out where he encountered turkeys during the drives, the turkeys would be scattered, and receptive to calling, [ ahh, the good ole days ;) ]so if you know any of those deer hunters or can contact the head of the club, they'll know where the birds hang out.....then you can get in there and do some snooping in mid jan and feb.....best of luck w/ your new opportunity
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 24th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Cut N Run wrote: the woods are filthy with ticks & chiggers,

Give your clothes a good permethrin treatment, it is the only thing I have found that repels and kills them.
Take some calls with and use them turkey flocks are quite social & vocal this time of year. Getting to know the land features will help you make sense out of any info the other users may share with you.
Are you doing fall and spring hunting, or just spring?
Around here deer hunters are spring beard hunters so be careful about planting the turkey hunting idea in their heads if they are not already hunting turkeys on the property.
You are wise to get out there now; there is so much to learn all year round.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 28th, 2012, 6:29 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I used to look for arrowheads on that land when the fields were planted in tobacco, but that was a long time ago. I'm sure the land hasn't changed much, the vegetation sure has though. Parts of it are an active tree farm, where some was cut just last month. I was hoping to get out there this coming weekend, though our high temperatures are forecast to be near 105 degrees, so I think I'll try back later. I'm so happy to have a new big piece of land to hunt, I just don't know what.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 23rd, 2013, 11:15 pm

Well, there's no ticks and chiggers out now that its January. The temperatures got down in the teens here last night. I'm betting we won't need to worry about snakes either. I made plans to go walk that land this weekend with my hunting buddy so we can get a better idea of the lay of the land and to see what kind of sign we can turn up. They were still thinning timber the last time we could go look in the summer just before deer season started.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 24th, 2013, 12:39 am

I use my county plot book maps to mark areas and openings and property lines, it sure helps saving a lot of walking time. It also helps show you who owns other lands that look good and other areas with similar terraines.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » January 24th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Jim,
Check with your local U.S Department of Agriculture agent and see if you can get a soil survey booklet for the county that contains the land you are going to hunt. They not only contain aerial photo maps but also mark the soil types present (if you are interested in food plots) in detail. I use them to mark my scouting trips on and make notes in the margins. They help me because I can keep them in the truck within easy reach.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

dewey

Postby dewey » January 24th, 2013, 11:49 pm

I would look at Google Earth to see if there are any oprning, trials, fields or other areas that you may want to check out. If you have a GPS you could mark all potential points and then load those points into Google Earth to potentially get a birds eye of the area.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

retranger

Postby retranger » January 25th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Jim I think this is good time of year to check it out. Don't know what the timber is but it is nice in the hardwoods with no leaves on. Like you said nothing like boots on the ground. I will trade you for your teen temps. we haven't been above zero here for three days, and down to 30 below at night!!!!
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Strategies