New Shotgun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Sgtshultzy1

New Shotgun

Postby Sgtshultzy1 » January 24th, 2013, 11:23 am

I am in the market for a new shotgun and I am going back and forth between a BPS and saving a little money or getting a Maxus or VersaMax...anybody have any experience with any of these or suggestions for a new shotgun?

shaman

Re: New Shotgun

Postby shaman » January 24th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I am of the opinion that turkey hunting is one of the least-demanding sports for shotguns. Any shotgun that will throw a dense pattern will work.

My suggestion is
a) Pump -- it weighs less than an auto and racking another round in is not a big deal.
b) Standard choke threads. Make sure you can get an extended turkey choke for the threads.
c) 3". I know a lot of guys use 3.5", but 3" is already up there in elephant gun territory
d) Used. If you need to buy new, go field grade.

My favorites: A used Rem 870 or Mossy 500.
The last few I bought had riot barrels on them and then I went out on the gun auctions and found a barrel that was threaded for choke tubes. If you get one that's got a pistol grip on the back, just look up on the auction sites. You can get a used wood stock for $45 or so.

If you think I'm being too old-fashioned, my son Angus is 14. He's taken gobblers with a 20 GA bolt-action and a 2 3/4" pump. I used an old Model 12 12 GA trap gun and a Model 12 16 GA grouse gun for years until I finally broke down an bought a dedicated turkey gun.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Sgtshultzy1

Postby Sgtshultzy1 » January 24th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Good advice, thanks. Ive been struggling with whether or not to get a pump or another auto, because I do like the simplicity of the pump and as you said. its not a high volume shooting sport. I dont think youre old fashioned...heck, Ive taken a bunch of birds with my Grandpas old Iver Johnson SxS. But that ole gun needed to be retired. Thanks again, Shultzy

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 24th, 2013, 5:20 pm

i have to agree with Shaman on the pump i my self have used a mossy 500 for years. this year i'm using an Ithaca model 37 but a suggestion if i may. i have used a Stoger under and over double barrel in the fall the option of different chokes and or shot sizes do come in handy.....wayne

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 24th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Sgtshultzy1 wrote:I am in the market for a new shotgun and I am going back and forth between a BPS and saving a little money or getting a Maxus or VersaMax...anybody have any experience with any of these or suggestions for a new shotgun?

I shoot a lot of different guns, including those that you've mentioned. I'd be happy taking any one of them to the turkey woods. They all have very positive features. Pump guns seem to hold the top spot for most turkey hunters with 870s, 835s and 500s normally holding the edge. There are so many ways that you can customize those guns and so many different chokes available for them.

I've also shot the BPS for years, owned several different models and currently have a 3.5" camo and a 3" black model. I do like the .742 bore and the barrel quality of those guns. The bottom load/eject feature is good and the closed receiver keeps a lot of debris out but they are more difficult to clean when they do get dirty. They are also more difficult to drill and tap if necessary and the Browning base is much more expensive than others.

As has been said already, you really just need a gun that will pattern well, after that it's all just a matter of personal taste.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting