Some changes in KS turkey regs

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Treerooster

Some changes in KS turkey regs

Postby Treerooster » January 23rd, 2013, 3:32 pm

I was just dinking around on the KS site and I noticed a couple of changes in the 2013 regs.

They now have 6 zones instead of 4. If I read it right, zone 4 is by draw only and just for residents as it was, but in zones 1, 2, 3, 5, & 6 you can now harvest 2 turkeys. Before I think you could only harvest 1 in the NW zone.

Also during the archery season (April 1 thru 9 for 2013) hunters 55 and older can use a crossbow now. Guess who has a crossbow and quailifies as an old fart. :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

ylpnfol

Re: Some changes in KS turkey regs

Postby ylpnfol » January 23rd, 2013, 3:40 pm

oh great, does that mean like 27 this year.....good luck my brother
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

dewey

Postby dewey » January 23rd, 2013, 4:13 pm

I have been discussing the upcoming KS spring hunt with a few others and I noticed that they changed the units and the bag limits as well. I think the 2013 spring WIHA atlas should be out by the beginning of March.

For those of you that will hunt Kansas and use Google Earth you can download the WIHA land into Google Earth, it is awesome to be able to scout from Google Earth and then print off the maps you want.

If anyone needs help loading the 2013 spring WIHA, when it becomes available, into Google Earth I can help.

Treerooster are you going to KS this year?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 23rd, 2013, 5:01 pm

yes i plan on hunting KS this season dewey near you once again... only thing i am computer illiterate thats why no avatar & i wish i did use google earth & upload the public lands i plan to hunt i now just print a google map pic of my land & mark the outline of the peace of land with marker is that what the google earth dose 4 us dewey???

yes treerooster i noticed the changes as well it really only opens that NW corner to a 2 bird limit & that cross bow rule is good for my old man he cant use it i dont see why they cant open that up to everybody during the archery season??? like NEBRASKA dose...???

wish they would release the KS WIHA atlas sooner i ordered mine last yr in march & never got my copy sent to me i did that twice??? i wish they had a request info section on there web site so we could order them on-line??? i ran into 3 groups of guys who all had to print there own 2012 KS atlas last yr??? my printer was on the fritz so i was SOL i checked & all my 2011 lands were still enrolled so i was good!!! hope thats the case this season...

hey dewey you think i could maybe e-mail you a couple of pics & u could maybe put 1 up as my avatar? or maybe post a few pics & i could write up a little story? i think i still have your e-mail address...??? no biggie if not i do know you like storys of successful hunts with pics so??? got some nice merriams pics & a few nice rio picks as well 1 rio my OK bird looks as white as many merriams i took pretty bird 4 sure... i admit im slow & should know how to do this but???

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 24th, 2013, 9:30 am

ylpnfol wrote:oh great, does that mean like 27 this year.....good luck my brother

LOL! No, but it does possibly mean more opportunity for me this spring. Most early hunts are pretty far from me being in the SE part of the US. Now I have 2 options close by with NE and KS in the early archery seasons. I just never had a lot of confidence with my compound bow to put the arrow in the small kill zone on a turkey. Didn't like the wounding possibilities. I am much more confident with my xbow, which I bought specifically for the NE archery season.

dewey wrote:Treerooster are you going to KS this year?

Dewey

KS has always been a "pick up" state for me. Whether I go depends on how my draws work out and sometimes how much time I spend in another state (like whether I tag out early or not). I would go if I could squeeze it in most years. But now that I can hunt with a xbow in the early archery season it certainly gives more weight to whether I hunt KS or not.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 24th, 2013, 1:36 pm

dewey i re read you help on posting pics here thread & it is a foreign language to me i do not work with computers & just know how to get what i want out of them LOL but i am lost when i comes to this & having to download this & paste that & upload that so if anybody could help or wants to see a few decent pics from the last couple yrs i do have some to share... no biggie if not guys just lost as could be... lol

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » January 24th, 2013, 1:49 pm

I think the crossbow reg. goes into the regular season.Recheck that if you want to drag that weaon with you this spring.

dewey

Postby dewey » January 24th, 2013, 3:45 pm

turkey junky wrote:yes i plan on hunting KS this season dewey near you once again... only thing i am computer illiterate thats why no avatar & i wish i did use google earth & upload the public lands i plan to hunt i now just print a google map pic of my land & mark the outline of the peace of land with marker is that what the google earth dose 4 us dewey???

hey dewey you think i could maybe e-mail you a couple of pics & u could maybe put 1 up as my avatar? or maybe post a few pics & i could write up a little story? i think i still have your e-mail address...??? no biggie if not i do know you like storys of successful hunts with pics so??? got some nice merriams pics & a few nice rio picks as well 1 rio my OK bird looks as white as many merriams i took pretty bird 4 sure... i admit im slow & should know how to do this but???

I use Google Earth to ensure I have the proper boundaries, look at distances, tilt the horizon see how I can use the topography to my advantage, aka picking out scouting points, as well as place markers of places I want to hunt at. It is also great for placing markers and using the directions feature to go from one point to another.

TJ go ahead and send me the pictures and I can resize them for you. If you have problems uploading them I can help you with that as well.
I am at home today working on finishing my basement but I can take care of it tomorrow.

If anyone else needs help with uploading the WIHA into Google Earth, resizing pictures for an avatar or for inserting the resized pictures into a post I am happy to help.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 24th, 2013, 6:43 pm

fallhunt wrote:I think the crossbow reg. goes into the regular season.Recheck that if you want to drag that weaon with you this spring.

Got a sling for my xbow so no need to drag it. :D

Yes, I believe anyone can use a crossbow in the regular seasonas as well as those 55 and older in the archery season.

Here is what I read from the 2013 KS turkey regs. (I put in the bold print)

SEASONS
ARCHERY-ONLY (April 1–9, 2013)
Anyone having a spring turkey permit may hunt during this
season using legal archery equipment and hunters 55 and older
may hunt using crossbows.

YOUTH AND DISABILITY (April 1–9, 2013)
Youth 16 and younger who possess a valid turkey permit or
game tag (residents 16 years old and all nonresident youth
must also have a hunting license) may hunt with any legal
equipment during this special turkey season while under the
immediate supervision of an adult 18 or older. Any person
who possesses a valid turkey permit or game tag and hunting
license and has a permit to hunt from a vehicle pursuant to
KAR 115-18-4 or a disability assistance permit issued pursuant
to KAR 115-18-15 may also hunt with any legal equipment
during this season. All resident and nonresident permits
and game tags are valid.
Any person with a permanent physical or visual disability
that prevents the person from hunting safely, as certified by a
physician, may be eligible to obtain a permit to designate
someone else to take a legal limit of game for the permit holder.
A permit holder who is, because of disability, unable to
pursue a wounded game animal may designate any individual
to assist in pursuing and dispatching an animal wounded by
the disabled permit holder. For more information, or for a disabled
assistance application, contact the KDWPT Pratt
Operations Office, (620) 672-5911, and ask for Law
Enforcement.
REGULAR (April 10 – May 31, 2013)
All resident and nonresident permits and game tags not filled
during the early seasons may be used during the regular season
using any legal equipment.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 24th, 2013, 7:29 pm

yes dewey get n exact GPS cordinits are great to have i spend alot of time looking at aerial photos & can about 80%-85% see the outline of the property in my atlas or then i print the pic & outline that to get the bounderys... i do use google earth sometimes after i find a spot i think may be good... but i really rely on the ground scouting once i get to a area or just looking the land over by driving around the property & hopefully seeing birds & or then locating them at dusk & plot n my attack that evening for the next mornings hunt...

hey dewey thanks again for the help with posting the pics man cant wait to see some... they were taken on a cell phone camera so hope they turn out ok??? your the best man...

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion