Thermo-Cells

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gouldshunter

Re: Thermo-Cells

Postby gouldshunter » January 23rd, 2013, 8:51 am

charlie elk wrote:Highly recommend the thermacell.
I have used mine to repel serious bugs like the hoards above the Arctic Circle in Alaska and Canada. It accompanies me here in WI on late season spring turkey hunts and early fall deer hunts: deer have never picked up any scent from the unit and I hunt on the ground a lot to shoot at least one of these each year-
buck with bow.JPG

The Thermacell allows me to hold still rather than trying to discreetly shoo bugs away.

You'll end up with a lot extra thermacell pads because they usually last almost as long the butane; about 12-16 hours. To save a buck you can buy extra generic butane refills at Walmart. They stock them next to the lady's curling irons.

I will look for the generic brand at Walmart thanks for the tip. You can also refill the used bottles.

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » January 23rd, 2013, 8:53 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Being that it's a warmed air sent, heat rises, and it's only a small area that it covers 15x15 foot, they would have to be on top of you before they smell it. It disapates into the air fast if there is a slight breeze. They also make an earth sent to help cover you up.

Thanks makes perfectly good sense. I have not seen the earth scent pads where do you get them?

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » January 23rd, 2013, 8:59 am

Therma Cells are one of the few gimmicks that actually work, I've talked quite a few friends into buying one, maybe they will start giving me a commission. :lol: But, I don't think they repel ticks, and I know for a fact they don't repel gnats, mostly good for mosquitoes & black flies.

Charlie- thanks for the tip about the butane refills.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 23rd, 2013, 9:00 am

THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE REPLIES. I have some gift cards taking up space on my dresser I will put to good use. I will get plenty of reloads at the same time
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 23rd, 2013, 10:16 am

gouldshunter wrote:
WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Being that it's a warmed air sent, heat rises, and it's only a small area that it covers 15x15 foot, they would have to be on top of you before they smell it. It disapates into the air fast if there is a slight breeze. They also make an earth sent to help cover you up.

Thanks makes perfectly good sense. I have not seen the earth scent pads where do you get them?

You should be able to get them where you buy the refills, most sporting goods places that sell the Therma-Cells also sell the refills. I've never needed the earth sent, so I haven't really looked for them.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » January 23rd, 2013, 1:24 pm

I had a tom comming in, when mine happened to go out :(
I think I got bit as many times, as I got the tom with pellets :roll:
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 23rd, 2013, 2:13 pm

Get some Permethrin while you're at it. That stuff is about as close to a miracle as you can buy. Spray down your boots, socks, and pants, then let it totally dry. It not only repels, but it kills ticks and chiggers that come into contact with it. I hunted a buddy of mine's farm using permethrin last year. Usually, you get covered in ticks out there, but I did not get bit by a single tick. He was complaining about all the tick & chigger bites he got out there. I turned him on to permethrin and he called me a few days later saying that the only tick he found on him was a dead one in the cuff of his pants.

Using a ThermaCell coupled with Permethrin puts a force field around you. I'll never hunt without either from here on.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 23rd, 2013, 4:44 pm

I will go home if I ever forget mine. Never had a prob with the scent while deer hunting either. Deer season opens on August ( not a typo)15th here and the bugs are bad.
South Carolina Low Country

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » January 23rd, 2013, 8:30 pm

I love mine,will not go to the woods without it

hootowl

Postby hootowl » April 16th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Probably the 1 tool I always have with me in the Woods, I have 2 of them, and Like Turkey season, I have 1 running and the other on stand Bye, I usally sit pretty much all Day Turkey Hunting or aleast I am in the woods, I eat at the truck, Thats the only Time I am out of the woods, Now if I happen to sit in Rain in The am, Then I will Go to Town and get a Warm meal, Cup Of coffee. Matter of Fact I need to place an Order for some Butane, and Pads, Are season Comes in The 24th.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion