Box Call

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
retranger

Box Call

Postby retranger » January 22nd, 2013, 1:28 pm

I am trying to make a box call. Not trying to compete with anybody, just would like to make one of my own. I have made a scratch box that works ok and several wing bone ones. I had white cedar that was real dry, I used the QB little hurricane as some what of a guide. I get a little noise off the left side (not great) but nothing off the right. Would anybody have any suggestions? thanks
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Box Call

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 22nd, 2013, 10:02 pm

Which way is the wood grain in you paddle running? Run a cotton ball down your paddle and see which side grabs better. The wood grain in your box should run hoizontal, the grain in your lid should run vertical or close to it. If it runs at an angle one side will play better that the other side, because your playing against the grain on one side and with the grain on the other.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

retranger

Postby retranger » January 28th, 2013, 8:33 am

I tried that Scott and the second paddle was worse than the first, no sound at all. I will leave the call making to folks that know what they are doing. Thanks for the help Scott.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 28th, 2013, 10:06 pm

WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Call Makers