Stoeger M3500

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
xcal1ber

Stoeger M3500

Postby xcal1ber » January 12th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Been looking at getting this gun and I am wanting to see what is the best choke/shell/shot combo for this gun.. Clark, I would especially like to hear your findings on this if you have ever tested this gun, and I am happy to hear what anyone else has experienced with this gun.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

allaboutshooting

Re: Stoeger M3500

Postby allaboutshooting » January 18th, 2013, 12:50 pm

xcal1ber wrote:Been looking at getting this gun and I am wanting to see what is the best choke/shell/shot combo for this gun.. Clark, I would especially like to hear your findings on this if you have ever tested this gun, and I am happy to hear what anyone else has experienced with this gun.

First of all, I apologize for not getting back to you. Somehow I missed this post. The 3500 is one of the better values in guns today. It has many features which make it a very reliable shotgun and inculdes some extras not always available on a gun in this price range.

I have spent a good bit of time with the 3500 at the range with a variety of chokes and shells. I have not had 1 failure to feed even with AA trap loads with 1 1/8 oz of shot. It will of course chamber the 3.5" shells and I fired a few just to see how they felt. I much prefer 3" shells for turkeys and waterfowl and have spent most of my time with them.

As far as turkey loads, I just can't find anything better than the current production 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz of #6 or #7 shot. They are consistent performers and properly choked, throw good even patterns at both short and longer ranges.

The 3500, as you know, uses the same thread pattern as the Benelli guns. I always try different chokes in different guns, even the ones with the same barrels as others to see if anythiing differs. I have not found any surprises with the 3500.

The Hevi-13 Turkey Choke .656, the SSX .643, JEB's .655 and the Wright's #3 .650 all perform exceptionally well in this gun. The "internals" of those chokes are quite different but all throw excellent patterns with the #6 or #7 shot.

The 3500 is an excellent shotgun and as stated earlier a real value.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » January 19th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Awesome!! Thanks for all the info, because I was wondering how it cycled weaker shells. Thanks again clark!
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 19th, 2013, 8:02 pm

xcal1ber wrote:Awesome!! Thanks for all the info, because I was wondering how it cycled weaker shells. Thanks again clark!

You're welcome. It did a great job with the 1 1/8 oz. AAs.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting