RED BEAD? OR GREEN BEAD?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkey junky

RED BEAD? OR GREEN BEAD?

Postby turkey junky » January 18th, 2013, 5:07 pm

hey guys just want to see if im the only guy out there that thinks that having a green bead on the front of your gun during any season wear green is the backdrop is not the best idea? mainly due to the fact its the same color as green undergrowth in the spring woods & hard for your eye to focus once you have a mean adrenalin rush... id much rather have a red bead at end of gun with the 2 green back beads or buck horn rear sites if need be...

grizzly

Re: RED BEAD? OR GREEN BEAD?

Postby grizzly » January 18th, 2013, 5:14 pm

one of my turkey gun has a red bead the other a white both work ok...wayne

retranger

Postby retranger » January 18th, 2013, 8:13 pm

I have the tru glow turkey stopper. It has a red dot and a green dot and you can adjust the intensity of them. I agree with your idea on the green dot on green back ground, but I have used both the red and green depending on the back ground. It has worked well for me.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 18th, 2013, 9:48 pm

turkey junky wrote:hey guys just want to see if im the only guy out there that thinks that having a green bead on the front of your gun during any season wear green is the backdrop is not the best idea? mainly due to the fact its the same color as green undergrowth in the spring woods & hard for your eye to focus once you have a mean adrenalin rush... id much rather have a red bead at end of gun with the 2 green back beads or buck horn rear sites if need be...

That's a good observation. As we age it seems easier for us to see green rather than red. That's one reason that so many "dot" type sights are now made with the red/green option. That's especially true when looking into bright areas or when you're in a bright area. In low light conditions, it may not be as much of an advantage.

It really is an individual thing however. Which ever works best for you is the key. It's just good to keep in the back of your mind that another one may work better for you if you start to have problems with the one you're using.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Hookspur

Postby Hookspur » January 19th, 2013, 7:40 am

Funny, but I've always thought the exact opposite. I would rather not have a red dot, because it tends to blend in with the gobbler's fiery red head! The florescent green is a color unlike anything in the woods (at least, it is to my eyes), so I'd rather have that as the primary bead color, flanked by red dots.

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » January 19th, 2013, 9:10 am

Hookspur wrote:Funny, but I've always thought the exact opposite. I would rather not have a red dot, because it tends to blend in with the gobbler's fiery red head! The florescent green is a color unlike anything in the woods (at least, it is to my eyes), so I'd rather have that as the primary bead color, flanked by red dots.

x2

Had my gunsmith put a bigger green one for the main sight, and a smaller one down the sight plane. 7 for 8 so far,(he ducked & I got em' with the 2nd shot) and right on!!
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 19th, 2013, 1:06 pm

white bead is great also my brothers 870 SF has double beads & the end bead is white that works for me also...

im a open filed & creek bottom hunter & most the times that type of habitat greens up real early & also i hunt in the bright sun alot hunting in KS/NE/OK that glowing green bead is damn hard for me to focus on when the green grass is damn near doing the same thing lol??? & i like to think i have good eye site???

as for the red bead & red turkey head i have never had thet prob B4 or yet??? ill just put the red bead of the white part of his for-head foe the most part gobblers always keep that white for-head lol but i know we are supposed to aim at the wattles... lol

im back to my old school bead that came with my gun it works for me so... it was early season duck & ruffed grouse hunting in thick green woods or background that i noticed my prob with the bright neon green beads red & or orange beads worked best for my eye to pick up...???

im still anti scoped turkey gun my self it works for many people but just not my thing...

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 19th, 2013, 3:07 pm

I added a Burris Speed Bead red dot to my SBE II last year and it rocks. It automatically adjusts to the ambient light levels. So, it brightens up when you're looking into the sunny areas and it dims down looking into the shade. I've never had it fade out where I couldn't see it against a target. It has a low profile and is much easier to look around or over than my old red dot. I hate I didn't add it years before.

I left my single shot with one silver bead, because I mainly use it for heavy cover & close range hunts, where sights don't matter much. I've never shot at a turkey with that gun beyond 27 yards and probably could have killed every turkey I shot with it without any bead.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 19th, 2013, 5:43 pm

i am interested in the speed bead type red dot site i would like to try it for upland game bird hunting... if i got 1 i would use it in the turkey woods also...

my fathers cross bow has a tru glo red dot scope & i do like that for his cross bow but i not so much for my 870 thow... i have to remember to keep my hand in front of the end of scope as it shines red & thats not a good color to have any wear near you in the turkey woods... ive busted turkeys with that scope while using the cross bow for turkeys i had them real close so that mite of been the reason they seen my heavy breathing...??? lol

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 21st, 2013, 8:22 am

My shotgun with the Speed Bead on it is a dedicated turkey gun and I have only ever shot at still targets with it. I know some guys who use the Speed Bead/Fast Fire sights to hunt doves, ducks, and shoot sporting clays, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for upland game too.

I really like how light weight the Speed Bead is and how little it affects the balance of the gun. My old red dot slightly changed the balance point of the gun enough that it felt odd. It was not easy to look around or point fast either.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion