Trying anything new this year?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
onpoint

Re: Trying anything new this year?

Postby onpoint » January 16th, 2013, 7:01 am

fowlfan wrote:I had always used Hevi-13 #6 with good success. This last fall, I decided to try the Magnum Blend after seeing all the hype. I killed a really nice Tom at a far piece with it. I'm going to use it again this spring and make a final determination. It patterns really well out of my gun so I'm pretty sure I can't lose.

I'm stickin with the Hevi-13 #6 in my 20 ga. Beretta. Tried patterning the Magnum Blend in #5,6,7 and they didn't do as well. Guess my little "pop gun" doesn't like 'em.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

onpoint

Postby onpoint » January 16th, 2013, 7:08 am

dewey wrote:
Gopherlongbeards wrote:I'm thinking of picking up a gobbler lounger type chair for longer set ups, although I hate having stuff to carry (usually don't bother with decoys, if it can't fit in my half full vest i don't bring it) and I'm usually in the less is more camp. Still, sometimes finding a comfortable seat is difficult, and an uncomfortable set up sure makes it difficult to hold still for very long.

My wifey has a low sitting chair like the one you mentioned but it is a Drake university chair. All I should need is a little bit of black and green spray paint and it should be good to go. Like you said an uncomforatable set up gets really old and painful fast.

I am going to try and learn to use a mouth call and practice it in the car on the way to work so I can be more hands free on the hunt.

Dewey

Get ready for some strange looks from your fella' commuters. Roll windows up at all traffic lights LOL. The good part is that you'll save money by not having to get a divorce :lol:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 16th, 2013, 5:49 pm

It's kinda new...last year in the spring contest we did a traveling call, team contest for the biggest bird. I won and got the the call. Scott from Willowridge calls donated the call. Its a beautiful looking and sounding call that brought a nice mature bird to my gun. It will be with me everyday this year rather than just one week.
Attachments
100_2557.jpg
100_2557.jpg (83.13 KiB) Viewed 252 times
100_2556.jpg
100_2556.jpg (100.14 KiB) Viewed 252 times
South Carolina Low Country

Matt Raymond

Postby Matt Raymond » January 16th, 2013, 8:24 pm

I picked up a Trueglo Red/Green dot 1x scope/sight for the 11-87 Sportsman Supermag a few weeks ago. I've always liked the idea of just using the bead for turkeys but wanted to try the red dot sight to better use the gun for slugs etc. I sighted it in at 50yds with slugs and it will shoot a good group. I like the idea of having both eyes open and focused on the target. I took it out the other day and shoot a few rounds of trap with the red dot and it worked great! so far I'm pretty happy with the addition.

Matt

RockyMtnGobblers

Postby RockyMtnGobblers » January 17th, 2013, 3:51 pm

I may hunt with a bow this Spring if not I will for the fall, also going to hunt Rio's instead of Marriams.
It aint the killin it's the challenge of the Hunt.

dewey

Postby dewey » January 17th, 2013, 4:22 pm

onpoint wrote:
dewey wrote:
Gopherlongbeards wrote:I'm thinking of picking up a gobbler lounger type chair for longer set ups, although I hate having stuff to carry (usually don't bother with decoys, if it can't fit in my half full vest i don't bring it) and I'm usually in the less is more camp. Still, sometimes finding a comfortable seat is difficult, and an uncomfortable set up sure makes it difficult to hold still for very long.

My wifey has a low sitting chair like the one you mentioned but it is a Drake university chair. All I should need is a little bit of black and green spray paint and it should be good to go. Like you said an uncomforatable set up gets really old and painful fast.

I am going to try and learn to use a mouth call and practice it in the car on the way to work so I can be more hands free on the hunt.

Dewey

Get ready for some strange looks from your fella' commuters. Roll windows up at all traffic lights LOL. The good part is that you'll save money by not having to get a divorce :lol:

I am not too concerned about the fellow commuters as it seems half of them are either trying to text/talk or whatever on their phone or there is a fair amount trying to put on their makeup in the morning, freaking idiots. Happy wife happy life!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion