Questions on MN OTC tags

User avatar
Treerooster
 
Posts: 654
Joined: May 5th, 2008, 3:48 am
Location: Colorado

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby Treerooster » January 14th, 2013, 2:56 pm

dewey wrote:Treerooster here are some links that will help you if you want to hunt Minnesota.

MnDNR wild turkey hunting website.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/turkey/index.html

Here is a link to the zones, dates, fees and other spring hunting legal stuff.
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation ... g-hunt.pdf

Here is a link to the Mn hunting regulations.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/ ... index.html

Good luck if you choose to come to the Viking state.

Dewey


Thanks Dewey that helps.

So it looks like the unlimited tags start May 7th and run a 5-day, 5-day then 2 7-day seasons, and the tag is $96 for a non-res.

Whats up with the small unit 502 included in unit 501? Is that a big public area?

BTW I called MN DNR and asked about buying another tag if I didn't fill my original tag and the guy said I could NOT do that, just 1 tag per hunter per spring. But then the office types don't always know what they are talking about, especially on new regs and early before the season. He did say I could purchase a tag whenever and it would be good right away, even if I purchased a tag during the season I was hunting.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

User avatar
dewey
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: January 16th, 2009, 6:18 am
Location: Minneapolis Minnesota

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby dewey » January 14th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Treerooster wrote:
dewey wrote:Treerooster here are some links that will help you if you want to hunt Minnesota.

MnDNR wild turkey hunting website.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/turkey/index.html

Here is a link to the zones, dates, fees and other spring hunting legal stuff.
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation ... g-hunt.pdf

Here is a link to the Mn hunting regulations.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/ ... index.html

Good luck if you choose to come to the Viking state.

Dewey


Thanks Dewey that helps.

So it looks like the unlimited tags start May 7th and run a 5-day, 5-day then 2 7-day seasons, and the tag is $96 for a non-res.

Whats up with the small unit 502 included in unit 501? Is that a big public area?

BTW I called MN DNR and asked about buying another tag if I didn't fill my original tag and the guy said I could NOT do that, just 1 tag per hunter per spring. But then the office types don't always know what they are talking about, especially on new regs and early before the season. He did say I could purchase a tag whenever and it would be good right away, even if I purchased a tag during the season I was hunting.


You are correct on the OTC unlimited tags and the tag price. As far as zone 502 I am not sure about that area as I normally hunt between Barnesville and Detroit Lakes. Perhaps TJ or Gopherlongbeards could answer that one.

The OTC seasons, E-H, go as follows.
Season E May 7-11 - Tuesday through Saturday
Season F May 12-16 - Sunday through Thursday
Season G May 17-23 - Friday through Thursday
Season H May 24-30 - Friday through Thursday

The guy you called at the MnDNR office is correct. You are allowed one tag per season but if the season has not started yet you may submit your tag/license/permit to the MnDNR and for $5 switch to another zone or time period.

Good luck let me know if I can help.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

User avatar
turkey junky
 
Posts: 745
Joined: June 25th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Location: I.G.H. MINNESOTA

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby turkey junky » January 14th, 2013, 6:15 pm

come on dewey you dont know what unit 501 is??? its the whitewater WMA treerooster its was the 1st & best known unit ! of the original 3 units MN had to hunt it is some of the most beautiful regions on the state of MN its the driftless region but it takes years to get drawn for that area & it has tons & tons of pressure legal & not in the area... it is way to close to the twin cities treerooster many many city folk make the trip down to whitewater every trout & turkey season it is really sad what happened to that area we used to go to the mauer brother tavern every yr they had a turkey registration & contest there for yrs but id fell of the map in recent yrs???

any place south & east of that 501 unit in unit 502 you are in good hands treerooster it would have been hunted way hard by the time you get there...

way back in the 2nd season MN ever had my father shot a nice tom merriams gobbler out of the whitewater WMA we had merriams down there for yrs but a bad winter wiped them out now we have MO & NY eastern stock in that big bluff country... after you tag a turkey in 501 it mite be worth a trip to mauer bro tavern for a drink & maybe try ur hand at trout fishing it should have plenty of rainbows if your down there around memorial day???

look into rushford preston areas??? PM me & ill help ya if need be???

charlie elk
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby charlie elk » January 15th, 2013, 2:18 pm

This discussion has helped me understand the MN system much better. I had hurriedly applied at the deadline, now I am thinking I should get a late season permit in MN. More time to hunt and certainly fewer hunters with more land available. I talked to some landowners in SE MN who are acquaintances and they plan to hunt early themselves but would allow me on late season.
Late season spring hunting is much like fall hunting except it is warmer. Nothing wrong with that.
Steve Hickoff razes me each year during Maine's last season in the country during June, to the point I have trying to get to Maine and attempt to shoot the last legal tom of the spring season, nationally. But now I know MN is very close to being the last season available I think second to last. MN is close to me Maine is very far away and a bit expensive to get to.
Kind of hope MN does not draw me now. If drawn I will not waste the tag.

WI allows us to transfer any tag to a kid.
Does MN allow a tag to be transferred to someone else?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

User avatar
dewey
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: January 16th, 2009, 6:18 am
Location: Minneapolis Minnesota

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby dewey » January 15th, 2013, 4:15 pm

charlie elk wrote:This discussion has helped me understand the MN system much better. I had hurriedly applied at the deadline, now I am thinking I should get a late season permit in MN. More time to hunt and certainly fewer hunters with more land available. I talked to some landowners in SE MN who are acquaintances and they plan to hunt early themselves but would allow me on late season.
Late season spring hunting is much like fall hunting except it is warmer. Nothing wrong with that.
Steve Hickoff razes me each year during Maine's last season in the country during June, to the point I have trying to get to Maine and attempt to shoot the last legal tom of the spring season, nationally. But now I know MN is very close to being the last season available I think second to last. MN is close to me Maine is very far away and a bit expensive to get to.
Kind of hope MN does not draw me now. If drawn I will not waste the tag.

WI allows us to transfer any tag to a kid.
Does MN allow a tag to be transferred to someone else?


Charlie it sounds like you need to go to Florida for the first bird of the year and then to Maine for the last bird. That would be pretty cool.

As for your question about transferring a tag to someone else I found that you cannot do that according to the 2013 SPRING WILD TURKEY HUNT APPLICATION PROCEDURES.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/turkey/index.html

Successful applicants in the drawing will be mailed a 2013 Spring Wild Turkey postcard as their winning notification by February 15, 2013.
Starting on March 1, you will be able to go to one of the 1,600 ELS-POS agents to purchase your license. The $5.00 turkey stamp fee is included
in the fee for the license. An additional $.75 will be charged if you want the pictorial stamp sent to you by mail. License and stamp fees must be
paid at the time of purchase. By law, licenses may not be altered, transferred, or refunded after issue.


I am not sure but I wonder if you could not buy the drawn tag and then buy an OTC later on. Or if you can't do that you could turn your tag in before the season starts and pay the $5 to switch to a different time period. Charlie like you said this thread has been very good to help me learn the regulations better myself.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

User avatar
turkey junky
 
Posts: 745
Joined: June 25th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Location: I.G.H. MINNESOTA

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby turkey junky » January 15th, 2013, 7:44 pm

NE,KS & MN i know for sure you can hunt through the end of may... my latest bird was i think may 27 maybe 26??? & i got 3 on may 24 1 year had got 1 the day B4 in KS may 23 & i have missed a bird on MNs last day B4 so late season is great to me...

i have never hunted fall gobblers but i think i had a taste the 1 year in KS i watched a gobbler totally ignore my hen calls 3 times in a row & never seen a struter or herd a gobble so i left & went to NE & scored a bird write off the bat & herd the most gobbling i had herd all season it was may 20 something if the birds were not still gobbling late in the season i would not hunt them it seems once them girls are on the nest & the boys are lonely its even better then any other time of year but there is a fine line you wait to long & the boys for a lack of a better word go gay & only hang with other like minded toms no fun to hunt then... at least for me...
i think a majority of the new england states open with in a wk or so either side of memorial day!!! thats late & they have a very short season to boot!!!

User avatar
turkey junky
 
Posts: 745
Joined: June 25th, 2011, 4:46 pm
Location: I.G.H. MINNESOTA

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby turkey junky » January 15th, 2013, 7:47 pm

yes charlie like i told you prior you can hunt later in MN so you can kill all them WI birds & then still just hop the river & do it 1 last time!!!

also charlie you could do like dewey says & do the 5$ tag swap thing for a later season???

charlie elk
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby charlie elk » January 15th, 2013, 7:53 pm

turkey junky wrote:yes charlie like i told you prior you can hunt later in MN so you can kill all them WI birds & then still just hop the river & do it 1 last time!!!

I had already applied for the MN drawing and MN does not let you cancel yourself out of the drawing. MN does not allow a drawn tag to be exchanged on the $5 program.
Apparently, I can hunt MN late if I do not buy a drawn license. In other words if I am drawn and choose to waste the tag then I can just buy a late season tag. But I hate to waste an early tag because had I not been drawn it would have been an opportunity for someone else.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby charlie elk » January 15th, 2013, 9:59 pm

turkey junky wrote:i think a majority of the new england states open with in a wk or so either side of memorial day!!! thats late & they have a very short season to boot!!!

Maine's spring season is Apr 29 to June 1, so this year MN is second to the last 2013 spring turkey season available.

dewey wrote:Charlie it sounds like you need to go to Florida for the first bird of the year and then to Maine for the last bird. That would be pretty cool.

Now this is a great idea and I would get all those WI turkeys in between! Can't this year but its now on the bucket list and I ain't waiting for the bottom of that bucket.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

User avatar
dewey
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: January 16th, 2009, 6:18 am
Location: Minneapolis Minnesota

Re: Questions on MN OTC tags

Postby dewey » January 15th, 2013, 10:40 pm

charlie elk wrote:
turkey junky wrote:yes charlie like i told you prior you can hunt later in MN so you can kill all them WI birds & then still just hop the river & do it 1 last time!!!

I had already applied for the MN drawing and MN does not let you cancel yourself out of the drawing. MN does not allow a drawn tag to be exchanged on the $5 program.


Charlie please don't read this as disrespectful as it is certainly not my intent. However the law you posted the other day said that you could turn the tag in along with $5 as long as there were still tags available for another season. Since the last four seasons are unlimited it should work, right?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

PreviousNext

Return to Minnesota

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests