Trying anything new this year?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
xcal1ber

Re: Trying anything new this year?

Postby xcal1ber » January 12th, 2013, 6:03 pm

Hey Jim.. Can that gobbler lounger fit in most turkey vest? In the back pocket portion where you would put the presumed dead gobbler?
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 13th, 2013, 8:30 am

working with a new gun this year i got an old Ithaca model 37 . it only will fire 2and 3/4 icn shells so i'll be doing some pattern tests to get the best loads for hunting other then that still on my return to hunting turkeys the why as i did when i was younger. meaning less gear and relieing on good setups and good calling to get my tom.....wayne

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 13th, 2013, 9:32 am

xcal1ber wrote:Hey Jim.. Can that gobbler lounger fit in most turkey vest? In the back pocket portion where you would put the presumed dead gobbler?

It probably would fit in most any turkey vest. It comes with a built in carrying strap (too short IMO) to sling it over your shoulder. It deploys quickly & quietly enough to be a handy tool worth carrying. I added a longer strap and beefed up hardware to mine to make it easier to handle and more user friendly.

There are also companies out there who make carrying bags specifically for the lounger that also work very well. I got one of them and like how it performs. It has plenty of room for the chair and enough extra space to carry a small curtain blind at the same time.

Jim
Last edited by Cut N Run on January 16th, 2013, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » January 13th, 2013, 11:51 am

Any link to info on this lounger Jim. I suspect it is the same as anything,,,,lot of imitations of the item but not as good as the original. Gander mt. or cabelas?
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 13th, 2013, 11:59 am

Here is a link to cabela for a gobbler lounger.

http://www.cabelas.com/stools-chairs-se ... er-3.shtml
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 13th, 2013, 1:18 pm

One thing I picked up this year is a tree stand umbrella. Being a friction call user it's next to impossable to keep your call surfaces dry in a light rain or even if it rained the night before, or spring tree sap. This one has the screw in bracket that you screw into the tree, but I'm tying mine to the tree with a small rope ratchet straps, one for the umbrella and one for the bracket. It takes about 3 minutes to put up and keeps you dry and in the shade even if your sitting on the sunny side of the tree. They fold up and fit into the back of your vest so you don't have to worry about carrying anything. They work great for fiction call users and guys that like to film their hunts, it keeps your camera dry. The little rope ratchet straps have 8' of rope on them so it'll hold the umbella tight to a big tree or a 6" tree even in a 20mph wind.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » January 13th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Where did you get it Scott?
I'm going to inaugurate a couple of new turkey destruction units I put together over the last few months. Otherwise all is the same.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 13th, 2013, 2:03 pm

I got the umbrella from the Sportsman Guide, $15.99 on sale right now for $14.39 online.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

retranger

Postby retranger » January 13th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Thanks kygobbler I may just have to try one of them this spring. I have found in these golden years it is much easier to sit longer periods. Scott I have several of the umbrellas and they do work well. All mine are the magnums, they are a little bigger than the regular ones. I use the screw in bracket, never had any problems. Most all your sporting goods stores have them
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 13th, 2013, 8:26 pm

[quote=]Scott I have several of the umbrellas and they do work well. All mine are the magnums, they are a little bigger than the regular ones. I use the screw in bracket, never had any problems. Most all your sporting goods stores have them[/quote]

Yes they do, and can also be used to sit behind as a quick blind. Here we can't screw anything into a tree on public land, not even a bow holder, so I use the ratchet ropes.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion