Calling all deep south hunters...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkey junky

Re: Calling all deep south hunters...

Postby turkey junky » January 12th, 2013, 10:40 am

i dont enjoy being kicked in the teeth every day of a hunt & in the deep south with 25 plus other hunters on a given WMA or peace of public land thats is a big possibility on a deep south hunt!!! call me simple but when i spend good $$$ to travel across the country to hunt turkeys i at least want them turkeys to play the game & maybe knock one down??? not travel across the country to hunt some of the most pressured turkeys on earth... & also i want to shoot another sub species if im going 10+ hours from home i dont want to travel many miles to hunt a eastern i have in my back yard thats barely any fun lol

ive hunted all the sub species except goulds & oscolated & down south was the least fun so far... when you talk to southern boys & they all want to do is go to the mid west to chase rios & or merriams or even hybrids for there large populations & lack of hunter pressure i cant be alone on this??? i was just trying to help a guy with a few options... shoot nobody told me B4 i went to FLA that them birds were that pressured & hardley if ever were herd gobbling i would of saved some $$$ & just went on a multi state hunt out west & had the time of my life... i did have a experience thats for sure in FLA & i will never for get that trip & i will be back but next time i go to the deep south i will bring my A game for sure not just hope i get lucky...

i guess im not at the point in my turkey hunting career wear i relish hard tite lipped pressured swamp gobblers??? i do enjoy a challenge thats why i hunt 99% public land across the country just for a great fun hunt far far from home i dont recommend a deep south heavy pressured gobbler it may be fun for some but definitely not fun for everybody especially first time out of state hunters completely new to a given area or region of the country...

maybe next yr ill go back to the deep south??? FLA is on my hit list again just need that damn public land osceola for my public land slam cant wait to chase the mute sub species again oh what fun that will be!!! gators snakes hogs swamps & tons of other non resident hunters

retranger

Postby retranger » January 12th, 2013, 3:52 pm

One of the problems that makes hunting those southern bird tough that no one has mentioned are all the creepy crawling creatures on the ground. :mrgreen: Cut n Run mentioned last year that one drove him off his set up twice. :o That would take the fun out of the game for sure!!!!
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » January 13th, 2013, 3:27 am

Turkey Junky, I hear ya loud and clear man. The main reason I wanna go down south is because no states anywhere else open as early as Mississippi and Alabama. I want to be able to hunt as soon as I can. When it comes to Georgia, here's my ace card...ik a guy who lives down there and he has invited me to come down and hunt anytime, I just gotta get down there. Check him out on facebook, his real name is Jeffrey but his page name is Turkey Nut, makes some of the sweetest looking strikers I have ever seen in my life. And about out west, oh I plan on heading out that way. Kansas and Nebraska are on my list of places to go and when I go to Nebraska I will probably book a hunt with gobble and grunt outfitters as I have always wanted to go on a guided hunt but never had the chance. Took me 7 yrs to finally get access to some property close to home since I don't have a vehicle that actually held turkeys so I'm up for the challenges southern turkeys would throw at me :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 13th, 2013, 5:13 am

South Carolina opens on March 15th (private land only) as well.
South Carolina Low Country

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 13th, 2013, 8:39 am

Here's a good video of hunting swamp gobblers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZAsIM2mlIQ
Fun stuff!!
South Carolina Low Country

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 13th, 2013, 2:38 pm

florida opens 1st saterday in march then has a 2nd opening date as well around the 15 or march so??? you will be dealing with big groups of birds early on???

B4 you go to NE do your research there are much better areas to go then gobble & grunt my friend them birds are all or lets say 85%-90% hybrid turkeys there only selling point for me would be the 100% success rate or your money back or they give you another hunt for free something to that effect??? just log on & look at the dead turkey pics they have from seasons past... they have a lot of birds but there in a hybrid turkey region not doubt about it... big tip man you dont need to pay a guide for a merriams or a rio there are plenty of public land & plenty of birds to be had with out hurting the back account... im a DIY public land guy my-self cant imagine paying for a turkey lol

have fun man its your trip make it what you want i just could not bring my-self to hunt hard head easterns over loud mouth rios or merriams shoot id rather hunt hybrids then a tite lipped swamp gobbler but thats cuz i have eastern wild turkeys in my back yard you dig...

you have awhile to think on it... take care

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion