Trying anything new this year?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Trying anything new this year?

Postby Cut N Run » January 11th, 2013, 12:10 pm

It is virtually impossible for me not to add something to my game for each upcoming turkey season. I pretty much have the gun/ammo/choke thing figured out and nothing there will change. I have a number of calls I rely on, though I'm adding a new long box as a replacement for the one I gave my best friend last year. My boots still have a lot of use in 'em. My gobbler lounger and everywhere chair are good to go. The T&TH caps Scott had made up last year will get broken in right, hopefully. My vest is good. My gloves and mask are good and have back-ups in the vest. My Thermacell works great & has plenty of refills, so about the only new thing I plan to add to the mix is some camo clothes. My older clothes are starting to show a bit of fading, so new duds are in order. Aside from replacing spent shotgun shells, I should get away without spending much $$$ this year.

How about you, any new gear?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Trying anything new this year?

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 11th, 2013, 1:02 pm

I'm thinking of picking up a gobbler lounger type chair for longer set ups, although I hate having stuff to carry (usually don't bother with decoys, if it can't fit in my half full vest i don't bring it) and I'm usually in the less is more camp. Still, sometimes finding a comfortable seat is difficult, and an uncomfortable set up sure makes it difficult to hold still for very long.

dewey

Postby dewey » January 11th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:I'm thinking of picking up a gobbler lounger type chair for longer set ups, although I hate having stuff to carry (usually don't bother with decoys, if it can't fit in my half full vest i don't bring it) and I'm usually in the less is more camp. Still, sometimes finding a comfortable seat is difficult, and an uncomfortable set up sure makes it difficult to hold still for very long.

My wifey has a low sitting chair like the one you mentioned but it is a Drake university chair. All I should need is a little bit of black and green spray paint and it should be good to go. Like you said an uncomforatable set up gets really old and painful fast.

I am going to try and learn to use a mouth call and practice it in the car on the way to work so I can be more hands free on the hunt.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 11th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:I'm thinking of picking up a gobbler lounger type chair for longer set ups, although I hate having stuff to carry (usually don't bother with decoys, if it can't fit in my half full vest i don't bring it) and I'm usually in the less is more camp. Still, sometimes finding a comfortable seat is difficult, and an uncomfortable set up sure makes it difficult to hold still for very long.

I think you'll be amazed how much longer you can sit comfortably with one of those low chairs. It'll make you wish you never sat on a web covered stool. I have a bad back, but have sat comfortably for hours when I needed to in one of those chairs. Those Gobbler Loungers fold up to almost nothing too. I improved mine by putting a longer carrying strap and better mounting hardware on it. You won't regret getting one.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 11th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:I'm thinking of picking up a gobbler lounger type chair for longer set ups

I have one and boy do I love it. After a few long consecutive days of hunting it is a bit too comfortable becuase I will end up taking a pretty good nap in it. :D

The only thing new that Im going to add to my arsenal this year is a couple of calls that I received from Scott in the xmas exchange that we did. Besides that my camo and everything is pretty good for the year to start out. Im sure that I will lose a pair of gloves or strikers or something by the end of the season.

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » January 12th, 2013, 11:23 am

I picked up a short legged beach chair from wallyworld last year. Think it was around $10. Needs a little spray paint. Only thing is its not made to be silent at the joints. Perhaps some rubber washers.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 12th, 2013, 11:28 am

I have a Gobbler Lounger and it is comfortable, but to me the biggest advantage of it is you can sit just about anywhere. In some situations it can be hard to find a good place to hide. For one example, an area with thick vegatation and near a lane or road. If you sit back in a bit your side views can be very limited. With the lounger you can back it up to a shrub or whatever and sit right on the edge.

The chair is certainly more to carry and I don't always carry one. I view it as a tool that I select for the right situation.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 12th, 2013, 11:51 am

I am going to move when a bird does not finish coming in. I figure I don't have anything to lose and I will learn more of what I can get away with. I am also going to get (attempt) closer to roosted gobblers before setting up.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 12th, 2013, 1:36 pm

maybe a new state to hunt or 2 or 3 ??? thinking on going to SD & WY??? i also want to try a SD prairie unit witch is alot similar to my rio hunts but merriams live there instead of rios... found some new killer lands in NE i want to try there pretty much hybrids there but there is alot of them & they eat good!!! also so i will be in a lot of new country this yr & im bound to learn something new to try along the way???

maybe a new call or 2 or 3 as there are some new tube call style calls i want to add to my vest 4 sure!!!

heck yeah guys if you sit on the ground against a tree as much as i do you learn a major part to killing turkeys is a nice seat/beat pad!!! lol i carry a old realtree camo boat cushion that hangs on my vest just like a new vest has but my 3-4 inch pad rules plus the 1 on my vest can go against my back & cushion the nubs & broken branches im leaning on... it also helps when its wet out & keeps my buns dry!!!

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » January 12th, 2013, 3:00 pm

No changes here Jim and it'll really just be a continuation with the same things as last year.

The exception might be new gloves and maybe a 3/4 face mask as I seem to wear that stuff out or lose them.. maybe a new ACME system if they send me anything to test out :D
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion