Lost an old "friend"...hunting spot

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Treerooster

Lost an old "friend"...hunting spot

Postby Treerooster » December 6th, 2012, 4:58 pm

I have turkey hunted an WMA in NW Nebraska for about the last 10 years.

I knew it burned last summer but didn't know how bad.

Called the property tech there and it is toast.It burned border to border and most of the 3000 acres burned pretty hot. Hot means the ground is sterile and it will take several year for even the grass to come back. He said there are still about 130 acres of green trees left and turkeys will use it, but certainly not like before. It may grow back someday but not in my lifetime.

It was a beautiful place where I could walk out my tent and wander all day. I will visit the area but I know it will never be the same as I knew it. I will miss it.

Thanks for the memories.

As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Cut N Run

Re: Lost an old "friend"...hunting spot

Postby Cut N Run » December 6th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Sorry to hear you lost a favorite place to hunt to fire. Sometimes Mother Nature is a bitch. Don't write that spot off for good though. The environment has an amazing way of healing itself when it can. I hope you end up finding new spot(s) to replace it as that land recovers.

I lost my favorite place to hunt because of another man's greed. A "so called" friend allowed me to hunt his land long enough to teach him how to turkey hunt and for me to help make the place an ideal spot to hunt. Then, he shut me out of the property when he no longer needed me. He now leases it to someone from Raleigh who can afford to pay him more than I can for prime turkey hunting land.

I guess I got burned in a different kind of way. Both of them suck. At least you have something you can go back to that will heal.

Good luck this Spring.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 9th, 2012, 5:47 pm

I mourn with you treerooster, it is sad to see reliable hunting spots disappear for the rest of our lives. Truly a loss that is difficult, if ever, possible to replace. With this one I'll never know what I was missing. :(
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 9th, 2013, 1:23 pm

sorry guys been gone for awhile had computer issues & what not

but when i seen this i had to make some calls & find out from the horses mouth aka the biologists i have talked with for a few yrs now & i damn near dropped a tear when i found out all that was lost i do know what you feel exactly treerooster we are in the same boat i lost a great honey hole WMA & many other prime areas myself!!! this is now the 2nd time i have seen fire wreck that very same area it is so sad that places we have worked birds & had success at & created many memorys at is no longer there & will never ever be the same i dont think i can drag my-self back there again it will never be the same & whats left will be hunted 50 times harder then it ever was b4 as all the yahoos will be fighting over the areas not burnt forever!!!

i just cant beleave that that much land was lost forever prime turkey deer sheep bob cat cougar & even pheasant habitat gone for ever i mean they new it was coming in advance & some how that much land was still lost??? we can rebuild homes buy new cars & other creature features but we can never re build that amount of forest & beautiful habitat that was lost!!! you think that region would have a better grasp of fire fighting skills its not there 1st fire by any means!!!???

R.I.P. MY FRIEND!!! YOU WERE GOOD TO ME OVER THE YEARS & MY FAMILY & FRIENDS!!! WHAT A GREAT LOSS!!! SHAME ON U MOTHER NATURE!!!

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » January 9th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Dang man, that blows. Im right with you on losing hunting spots. Lost mine last spring after i shot my first gobbler, dont know if il be able to hunt there this year but i gotta try
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » January 10th, 2013, 9:21 am

Same boat here Treerooster.....not nearly as bad but I lost several hundred acres of Prime deer/turkey hunting ground last year due to controlled burning. It too, burned HOT. Hopefully in a few years, it will be back to as normal as it can get. I hope you find some new ground to get you by until it comes back around.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

BigGobbler

Postby BigGobbler » January 10th, 2013, 4:34 pm

STEROIDCHICKEN wrote:Same boat here Treerooster.....not nearly as bad but I lost several hundred acres of Prime deer/turkey hunting ground last year due to controlled burning. It too, burned HOT. Hopefully in a few years, it will be back to as normal as it can get. I hope you find some new ground to get you by until it comes back around.

Mother nature has its cruel ways of controlling things! The good thing is it will grow back and there is not a housing subdivision being built on the land!

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 10th, 2013, 7:46 pm

oh yeah i think the worst feeling when you loose hunting habitat is when i big ol yuppie house is put back in its place man that is just sicking to me!!! just a crime!!! or should be!!! i have seen that happen in just my short time on earth lost dick hunting spots & pheasant also it is just as bad to see that i think worse even!!! because man did it instead of mother nature witch at least has a clue what shes doing in the long run

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion