If...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
heinzc

If...

Postby heinzc » December 28th, 2012, 8:37 am

I have been contemplating my options for this upcoming spring and I thought I would pose this interesting question. Let's say turkeys were put under a federal control which changed the rules to only one tag for the entire United States. Because of the federal law this tag could be used from Jan.1, 2013-Dec.31, 2013. Where would you hunt, what species would you hunt for, what would be your weapon of choice, and what time of year would you do this in? Feel free to add any other interesting details that would peak our interest.
Prov. 3:5,6

shaman

Re: If...

Postby shaman » December 28th, 2012, 10:04 am

Probably, I would wait until peak gobbler activity and take one at my farm. The only difference between what I do now and what y'all propose is that I would do my hunting a few weeks before what is the historic start of KY's season. KY's season is meant to coincide with the end of the latent phase of gobbler activity. Often the first week is kind of dead, but the previous weekend is red hot.

Alternatively, some years I see a lot of gobbler activity in the weeks immediately following KY's Spring Gobbler Season. It would be nice to take a crack at some of these late comers.

BTW: I'm not at all enamored with the plan. I think too many guys would do exactly what I'm doing and a lot of gobblers would not get to breed.

If I could switch from a 12 GA shotgun, I would probably like to use a Marlin 357 Mag lever gun, loaded down to traditional 32/20 levels (about the same as a 38 special target load). This is the sort of gun that was popular for turkeys a hundred years ago. I would not try to get any extra range out of it, but I would like the ease, and thrift of operating a centerfire rifle over my current elephant gun.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » December 28th, 2012, 1:20 pm

I would go in late fall with a bow. I guess I would stay close to home too,so IL.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 28th, 2012, 7:40 pm

heinzc wrote:I have been contemplating my options for this upcoming spring and I thought I would pose this interesting question. Let's say turkeys were put under a federal control which changed the rules to only one tag for the entire United States. Because of the federal law this tag could be used from Jan.1, 2013-Dec.31, 2013. Where would you hunt, what species would you hunt for, what would be your weapon of choice, and what time of year would you do this in? Feel free to add any other interesting details that would peak our interest.

Well lets hope it NEVER comes to that, it would surely be a demise to turkey hunting. They'd have 900 rules why you can't have a tag, and if you were lucky enough to draw one, the rules would change 3 times from the time they mailed it to you and you recieved it.
But if I drew a tag and got it, I would hunt with a flintlock front stuffer in Alaska in the spring. Why? I love a bird with a good challenge.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

hawglips

Postby hawglips » December 28th, 2012, 9:52 pm

I would hunt a high altitude late spring merriams in Utah. The country is other worldly, and the turkeys are scarce and tough enough that I'd get my money's worth hunting them.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 30th, 2012, 9:26 am

that's a hard one if it evercame to that i guess i would choose the fall with a 36 cal black powder sidelock rifle . there's just something about shooting your own Thanksgiving day turkey like my forefathers did that seems to make it seem the right way to go....wayne

heinzc

Postby heinzc » January 2nd, 2013, 10:36 pm

I also pray that hunting never goes to federal control. I think the Feds have too much to think about to concern themselves with hunting and fishing. I did accomplish one thing with the post, I think I will return to the woods this spring with a bow. The weapon choices were very interesting, and I appreciate your replies.
Prov. 3:5,6

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 3rd, 2013, 10:36 am

heinzc wrote:I also pray that hunting never goes to federal control. I think the Feds have too much to think about to concern themselves with hunting and fishing. I did accomplish one thing with the post, I think I will return to the woods this spring with a bow. The weapon choices were very interesting, and I appreciate your replies.

The feds do control some hunting. They set parameters on migratory species that the states must follow. They also have influence over states with the P-R funds.

This is a good thing IMO.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 3rd, 2013, 10:50 pm

If is the biggest two letter word in the English language. Possessing a severely limited bag of Fall hunting skills and a supreme love of hunting mature Spring gobblers, I'd say as long as I got the opportunity to hunt turkeys in Spring, I'd probably like to keep hunting around the Southeast about the third week of April with my Benelli.

Hunting gobblers that time of year in this region is all I know, even though the game has to be similar throughout the wild turkey's range. Working active Spring gobblers makes my heart rush and the hair on the back of my neck stand up. If I only got one tag, I'd hunt hard and watch a lot of birds before I notched that tag.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 4th, 2013, 2:03 am

After thinking about this and narrowing my options from any of the fine toys from ACME by Mr.Parks to my ol favorite Winchester SX3. I think I would choose my Winchester and hunt during the autumn months for a merriam. I love those white feathers on them.
Is it turkey season yet?

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion