hunting blinds

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
1979wisconsinhunts

hunting blinds

Postby 1979wisconsinhunts » December 9th, 2012, 11:42 am

hi me and my father are new to turkey hunting.i want to buy him a blind for christmas. what are some east to set up blinds he could set up himself.please keep in mind he's 80 yrs old.could be a 1 or 2 person blind.just looking for something he can handle himself. thank you

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: hunting blinds

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 9th, 2012, 2:15 pm

I'm not a big fan of blinds, to heavy and bulky to carry around, but they are usefull in certain areas and in the rain. What I use 90% of the time is a wrap around blind. They are light weight, easy to set up and cover your movements. I use a Gorilla blind which has 4 poles that adjust from 18" to 40" high, it gives you full vission and doesn't effect any sounds coming from the birds. It covers you playing calls, rasing your gun, shifting in your seat, it goes up and down quick, and is very portable. If I'm in light rain I use a tree stand umbrella with it, that straps to a tree and keeps you dry. The best thing about them are they fold up and stick in the back of your vest, so you have nothing to carry.

Just another opion for you to look at?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

retranger

Postby retranger » December 9th, 2012, 6:38 pm

I normally don't use pop-up blinds turkey hunting but I have two. One is the Ameristep Dog house and the Ameristep Brickhouse pop-up. I prefer the Brickhouse, it is easy set up and take down weighs less than twenty lbs. Both I got from cabelas. I normally set it up in an area I know turkeys are and leave it up and use it in inclement weather. I used it this fall to take my 89 year old hunting buddy and we got our turkeys from it. The ones willowridge is talking about are also good and I have the camo material and use it for duck hunting. I have also just made a brush blind but as with the camo material ,,,,, doesn't keep you dry in the rain. Good luck to you and your Dad. :) ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » December 9th, 2012, 10:27 pm

I also don't like hunting out of blinds, but if the weather is bad or I am taking a kid out I use them.
I prefer the hub style cause they are so easy to set-up and take down and give you so much room. You can have 2 directors type folding chairs easily which make long sits much more bareable. But with smaller stools you can put 3 people in if you need to. I have a Gander Mountain vodoo and am very happy with it. Also as I see you are in WI, Menards has some nice looking blinds which have a large door for getting in and out very easy, even if you have a diabled hunter you need to get in. They have 2 sizes, both big and the price is very reasonable. I believe $79 when they put them on sale, and they will probably clear them out soon.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 10th, 2012, 3:56 pm

like the rest of the guys i'm not huge on blinds but i do use one from time to time mine is a armerstep dog house it works ok i got it for bow hunting deer cause i won't hunt out of a treestand . it sets up easy but folding it back up takes a little practice it comes with it's own backpack and it's not heavy......wayne

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » December 27th, 2012, 5:45 pm

There are two that I highly recommend. They aren't even close to cheap but they are fantastic IMO. They are both Ghostblinds. One is tall if you want to sit on a chair and the other, the one I prefer, is the runner which is about 1/2 as tall and twice as light. The specs are on the site but they are both very light. The runner tucks nicely into the back of my vest and pops up in 15 seconds.

I have had coyotes nearly run my blind over before they met their demise. If the wind is right, they will walk right up to you. The videos on the website aren't gimmicks either. I use my tall one for hunting ducks in fields and deer hunting. The runner I use exclusively for turkeys. I set up my gobbler lounger chair if I am going to sit in one place otherwise I set up next to a trail and squat when running and gunning.

I hunt in TX so it is hard to find a place to hide in all of the scrub so this fixes that :)

Oh, they work in the rain but they don't keep you dry :lol:
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

shaman

Postby shaman » December 28th, 2012, 8:07 am

I don't know how adept your father is, being 80 years old. However, bulk and weight can be huge factor. I have a pop-up blind. It was great while the kids were young, and I still use it occasionally when it is pouring rain.

Turkeys do not require an elaborate blind. When I need one, I usually resort to a 12' length of die-cut or burlap. I use camouflage campers cord and run it between three trees in the shape of a "V" and then attach the blind material with spring clothes pins. You can do that or just drape the thing over a stretch of fence. it takes less than 5 minutes to set up and take down and can be carried in a sack the size of a grocery bag.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion