Think inside the box

Comments and suggestions about T&TH are welcome here.
WillowRidgeCalls

Think inside the box

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 27th, 2012, 12:16 pm

In this months news letter, Jim Spencer's article about using box calls is a very good point made about using box calls.

http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/t ... id=3505449
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Bobbyparks

Re: Think inside the box

Postby Bobbyparks » December 27th, 2012, 2:12 pm

I like reading this kind of piece...I think it makes me feel better about what I've been doing all these years.

I started out with boxes 20 years ago and because I started killing turkeys..... I just kept using them...used nothing else for 3-4 years and then incorporated pot calls into the mix but to this day kill plenty of birds with boxes or some type of friction.

I have been on hunts more than once where someone with me would run a mouth call in a way I thought sounded great but the bird would not respond...I'd hit the box or crystal and he would light up.

I'm sure this can work both ways but I think the point that was made about many using mouth calls may not sound quite as good as they may think they sound is where the problems start...but other times even when they do the box can make a difference

A good caller with a mouth call sounds good on the spot where a box call usually sounds better 20 plus yards away

Nice article!
Last edited by Bobbyparks on December 29th, 2012, 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 27th, 2012, 4:29 pm

My experience is similar to the article, execpt I started out with the pot call as my bread & butter call. I had a box with me but would seldom used it. Then I gradually started using my box call more and more until now the box is my bread & butter call and I don't use the pot too much. I didn't really keep logs on how many birds I killed with what call, but I think I just started realizing the box was working better for me.

I have had guys tell me my box call sounds better from a little distance then it does when they are next to me.

I always have a mouth call in my cheek but I don't think I sound as good as my box and only use the diaphram when i think movement must be kept to a minimum for the most part.

I do have a lot of confidence in my main box call, which is a Burrville Bomber longbox, and I think confidence plays a huge roll in not only which call I reach for, but also that I play it better.

I still think my clucks & purrs are better on a pot type call, particularly a Morgan Frictionwood caller (is that reall a pot call???) and I tend to go to my pot for those type calls. I can't do a fighting purr on my box either.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 27th, 2012, 5:13 pm

When i started hunting there weren't to many places to buy turkey hunting gear so my first two calls were a lynch cedar box and a lynch jet scratch . They were great calls and serve me well . but then i fell in love with the pot and peg and all the different sounds you can get out of them . in the last few years i have gone back to the box call there are things i have found that i can do with a box call that i can't get out of a pot call such as good loud yelps and with lots of pactice i got real good at gobbleing so i make sure there's a box call in my pack when i head out....wayne

Return to Magazine Feedback