Calling all deep south hunters...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Mossberg835

Calling all deep south hunters...

Postby Mossberg835 » December 21st, 2012, 1:38 am

I have always wanted to travel abroad and hunt for turkeys as I imagine most addicts like me have. I also hate having to wait till May to partake in what I believe to be the best activity god ever created ;) the only cure I can think of for this is to head south and I have decided to do this. Most likely not this coming spring cause of college but the one after that for sure. I plan on making a roadtrip of it and hitting up the real early openers like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, maybe even Florida. Now I have done quite a bit of research on potential hunting spots and licenses and regulations and such but was wondering if anybody could give me some info on the states I have listed as far as somewhere to hunt. I'm not asking for somebody to show me a honeyhole as I trust all of you are smart enough not to do ;) just a spot where I will atleast hear something and have a chance to maybe work a bird. Any info at all would be appreciated. Turkey and Turkey hunting has had some great articles but they only touch usually on nationally known national forests and such and you all know how crowded they can get. Thanks again in advance guys, have a wonderful Christmas and a safe one at that
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

stankyolgobbler

Re: Calling all deep south hunters...

Postby stankyolgobbler » December 24th, 2012, 1:30 am

Check out my site....if you dont wanna book I may can point you in the right direction. Bama is defiantly where you want to go for a southern hunt though!

http://www.southeasternguides.wix.com/home
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » December 24th, 2012, 6:47 pm

I tied to go to your website but it took me to some website about wine drinking in NY city, lmao, but I hear you man about bama. A, u live there so u know how good it is and B, I've read and watched so many hunts from there so I know how good it is.

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » December 24th, 2012, 11:57 pm

the mobile website is defective. desktop version is good.
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » December 25th, 2012, 4:45 am

Ok man, my Internet only works right now on my iPod cause something is screwed up but il check it out when I get the chance.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » December 29th, 2012, 6:15 am

Savannah National Wildlife Refuge
South Carolina Low Country

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 11th, 2013, 1:10 pm

ive been to florida & drove threw AL GA TN on way home when there turkey seasons were going the habitat down south is way different then NY woods & bluffs man if your not in the MTNs of GA,AL then you are on flat as a table land or swamp with thick thick undergrowth i talked to some AL boys & they said we have a ton & ton of birds down here but there just not fun to hunt??? they had been to KS,SD & NE & they said now them birds act write??? maybe they just didnt want the MN yankee boy chasing around there birds??? but there sheer population of birds in AL makes it a must stop for many but the birds are smart & been hunted for ever so they dont gobble there heads off much or they die fast!!!

GA i have herd great things & have a friend down there in the MTNs they slay birds every season more farm woods mtns & horse ranches there perfect for turkeys... lots of GA boys love turkey hunting so dont plan on having the woods to your self on any public land in any state in the deep south its the home of turkey hunting for the most part & its big bizz they love chase n gobblers more then the average region...

florida well ive been there & done that public land there just is not fun to hunt if your going for true osceola that is as its as cut throat of hunting as ive ever seen & i seen guys limb lift birds in OK & FL still takes the cake for hunter pressure its just crazy when they open the public WMAs we all can hunt crazy on a slow day...

sorry to burst the bubble man but them turkeys you want to hunt in early march & april are some if not the hardest turkeys to hunt in the country!!! yes NY & all the state mentioned all have eastern sub species but they act nothing like a bluff country eastern in general them southern easterns dont travel as far or gobble as much as a bluff or ridge country eastern at least in my experience? not that a fired up 2 yr old in the deep south wont run and gobble a mile into his death on some prime private ground but public land??? dont bet on it...

if i was just out of school & had some $$$ to burn & loved hunting LIKE I DO then i would really think on planing a hunt out west someplace with a much more forgiving sub species to hunt & much more beautiful scenery there are some states that hold rio grandes in the SW that open there season early like in late march or early april??? if you wait till like the 2nd wk of april many many more great top notch turkey states open up & you can get your hands on another sub species other then just easterns???

my 2 cents nothing against the south i love the south but there is lots & lots of turkeys down there & as many hunters chase n them on public lands... many many boys from up north get tired of snow in march also we head down south to get in a 1st turkey hunt & you may see a handful of other out of state hunters on you trip... so id choose the west south west for a great turkey hunt for a new out of state hunter

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » January 11th, 2013, 5:39 pm

There is no better experience than chasing a southern swamp gobbler!! Leave those hills alone, put on the rubber boots, watch out for the snakes and alligators!! If you are successful on our birds you can hunt 'em anywhere!! Invest in a Thermocell.
South Carolina Low Country

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 11th, 2013, 10:06 pm

if you can kill a public land osceola & ill maybe give you a public land eastern in parts of the south that never lost all there turkeys way back you can kill a turkey any wear but just the south in general im not that simple a un pressured southern gobbler on opening day is the same push over as any other sub species on opening day... any of the sub species that is highly nomadic will give a hard headed home body swamp gobbler a run for its money ...

im more going on lack of other hunter pressure out west & the high bird populations in many western states it will be way more fun for a new to out of state hunting guy... if you bugger up 1 bird out west its simple to get on another bird not so in the south & in florida your lucky to even hear a bird gobble in a wk of public land hunting... not the case out west its abnormal to not hear birds gobbling off the roost...

again the south is great its just not the most forgiving when it comes to its turkeys on public lands there is a lot of competition for them birds in the south...

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » January 12th, 2013, 6:06 am

C'mon man, half the fun of hunting the pressured birds in the south is the challenge! :D One thing I might add, the birds we have here in PA get hunted every bit as hard as they do in the south, especially on public land.

I'm planning to start my season early this year, and hit 3 southern states, GA, AL, & TN.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion