Let's Just Say. . .

Do you create your own turkey calls? This is the place for you. Share techniques, offer tips and post photos of your creations.
shaman

Let's Just Say. . .

Postby shaman » December 24th, 2012, 10:48 am

Let's just say I wanted to start making my own calls. I have an unlimited supply of red cedar, wild cherry, and old barnwood. I want to make box calls, both the assembled sort as well as the routed-out sort and pot calls.

What sort of tools do I need? Right now, I have a drill press and a bench saw that is only good for rough cuts.

Help me assemble a workshop.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Let's Just Say. . .

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 24th, 2012, 11:44 am

I do all my calls with a drill press, bandsaw, and belt sander, yes I have a bunch of other machines to do the cutting, planning, shaping, but those 3 are the ones I use the most. A lathe will help you do pots if that's the way you want to do them. Hand tools, files, drill bits, forstner bits, lathe tools, lots of sandpaper. Wood, 1/4 cut for boxes, straight cut for pots.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

shaman

Re: Let's Just Say. . .

Postby shaman » December 28th, 2012, 6:28 am

Thanks. That was kind of what I was thinking.

I'm going to have some space open up that I will be able to use for a workshop. I don't know when I'll be able to make my first call--may not be for a year or so. However, I want to start looking for stuff.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Return to Call Makers