Spring 2013 Tags

ticklishtompro

Spring 2013 Tags

Postby ticklishtompro » November 19th, 2012, 11:21 pm

Just a little reminder, the dedline for applying for spring tags is December 10th. It always sneaks up pretty fast. But I am sure most of you all got yours in already, cause we can't wait for it!!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Treerooster

Re: Spring 2013 Tags

Postby Treerooster » November 26th, 2012, 4:33 pm

A reminder never hurts.

I always wait until about now to apply for my Wis tag. The Wis Dec 10th deadline is what really starts me thinking about my upcoming turkey season. My plans start forming as to what state I want to be in and when. Kind of a fun part for me except for the wait on some draws. In some states you don't here back if you drew what you were trying for until the end of March!! :o :shock: :cry:
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

putt

Postby putt » December 9th, 2012, 5:52 pm

I just went online to apply for my Wis spring permit, last-minute as always with the deadline tomorrow. I gotta start earlier next year, in order to have time to deal with surprises.

This time I was surprised to find significantly fewer choices than last year ... I can only select 2 time periods instead of last year's 6 choices.

Anyone know what's going on?

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 11th, 2012, 9:09 am

putt wrote:Anyone know what's going on?

The choices were limited due to an anomaly in the draw system that would not draw out hunters who filled out all 6 options in order. They usually got drawn for their least desirable season. Since there are so many OTC tags available the vast majority of hunters are trying for seasons A & B only because they assume they will get a tag OTC later.

Once upon a time I put in for season C but now there are season C tags available OTC that I pick up. Now I expect to be drawn for either A or B and then buy at least one tag per remaining season.

Because of the declining number of turkey hunters, making available lots of surplus tags, the drawing, for the most part has become mainly a contest for A & B tags. For residents anyway, non residents are the ones competing for C & D tags.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

putt

Postby putt » December 11th, 2012, 6:03 pm

charlie elk wrote:The choices were limited due to an anomaly in the draw system that would not draw out hunters who filled out all 6 options in order. They usually got drawn for their least desirable season. Since there are so many OTC tags available the vast majority of hunters are trying for seasons A & B only because they assume they will get a tag OTC later.

I figured that you'd be the one with the answer Charlie, with your contact within the WDNR. Thanks for the details.

Your description of that draw system anomaly might finally tell me why my draw luck has been so albatross-poor these last few years. I'm one who would fill out all 6 slots.

Up here in zone 2 the initial draw does fill slots all the way into the 5th period, so it would be nice if there were more period options in case a hunter has a week or two that he just can't make it. Any software programmer worth his flash drive should have been able to correct the problem, while allowing more than 2 time slots.

For the 3rd blank in this year's application where it asked to "Select one zone where you would accept a permit during any time period" I also put zone 2. Hope their system can figure that out without kicking me to the back of the line again.

Thanks again.

Return to Wisconsin