4 mornings in the woods

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
homunculi

4 mornings in the woods

Postby homunculi » December 7th, 2012, 5:34 pm

on monday i woke up late and was rushing around to get out in my stand ... got there after day break thinking i did not screw up too badly ..
got my bow on the pull cord and started up the ladder half the way up heard a noise off to my left .... 2 doe staring me down ... gone ... seen nothing the rest of the morning

tuesday get out there in time before first light .. thought i was doing good left my release in the truck got down still dark .. get to the truck release on bow hanging in the stand and first light started as i am making my way back to the stand over in the creek bed i see sillowets taking off in every direction ... busted again ...

wednesday got out .. had everything i needed ... sat for almost 5 hours .. seen nothing called it a day and went to work ...

thursday morning get out before first light hear some yelping over in the valley .. dove sitting on downs branches .. squirrel running all over .. seen some movement over at the end of the clearing .. look over that way .. seen something black move .. then seen a turkey walk across an opening in the thicket ... so i started watching that area closer .. heard something off to my right ,, turned to look a squirrel hanging on the tree less than 5 yards away .. so i go to looking back where i seen the turkey when i seen this big boy walk out of the thicket ... he took his time staying out of my shooting lanes and walking behind trees .. he got over to my right behind the big oak that is about 34 yards took a couple of steps away then turned heading too me .. walked in to my 25 yard tree on the creek bed and got inside of it and turned just right for a nice broadside shot .. after i took the shot he just stood there for 10 20 seconds did not move did not flinch .. i thought how could i miss ?? well those seconds seemed like an hour then he just laid down ... was confused because i seen the lighted knock go into him ... he was not moving at all ... unhooked my harness let my bow down on the rope and walked that way ... then i seen blood when i got close ... still cannot believe it ... nor could my inlaws that were watching from the house on the hill ... ... ... . but i got him ...

the mrs who is against me having anything from a dead animal in the house said i can get him mounted :) and .. bonus ,, helped me dress him out ...
Attachments
buck.JPG
buck.JPG (168.85 KiB) Viewed 523 times

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: 4 mornings in the woods

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 7th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Congrats, good looking backstraps. ;)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

homunculi

Postby homunculi » December 7th, 2012, 8:27 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Congrats, good looking backstraps. ;)

thanks ... making a roast from him tonight to have tomorrow evening ... i hope it is tasty .... (i know it will be) ... this is #4 in the freezer this year so far ... have 2 more tags ... and this is getting to be busy season at work ... who knows i might get lucky again with a big old hard nosed doe .....

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » December 7th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Well done! Congrats!

dewey

Postby dewey » December 7th, 2012, 11:30 pm

Congratulations on a fine looking buck! Anal idea how much that brute weighed?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » December 8th, 2012, 7:49 am

Just goes to show you, if you're "totally" prepared, "AND" on time, you just may have it your way :lol:

Gongrats on a dandy!!! ;)
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

homunculi

Postby homunculi » December 8th, 2012, 10:30 am

dewey wrote:Congratulations on a fine looking buck! Any idea how much that brute weighed?

Dewey

i am thinking around 220 240 .. mu friends are thinking in the 260 range ... the old scale i set all the meat on is not correct .. i know i weigh about 215 and it says i am 198 one minute i get back on it it will tell me i am 205 ... jump on it again i will say 200 ...

we did that with all the meat then got the old fish scale out and added up the numbers so around 120lbs in the freezer :)

got his head to the taxidermist and my thoughts of a nice 8 point turned into a 10 point because of 2 nodules on the right main beam that you can hang a ring off of ...

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion