Home from Ky fall huunt/a comedy review

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

Home from Ky fall huunt/a comedy review

Postby eggshell » December 3rd, 2012, 7:10 pm

Well my buddy and I went down for the second segment of Ky fall gun season this weekend and today. The first day was a total bust, seeing zero turkeys and hearing only one cluck in our honey hole of 15 years. Sunday put us in another spot with lots of sign, but from daylight for two hour we never heard a turkey sound. So we split up and went different directions on a ridge. After a 2-3 mile walk I ran into a gobbler group and my only choice was to bust them. So I sat for 2 hours and not one peep. I headed back and radioed my buddy to meet me. We agreed on a meeting spot and ran into fresh sign, when almost immediately a guy grouse hunting comes through. He had seen no turkeys and we actually tipped him on some grouse we had flushed. Then we made it to the truck and headed deeper into the national forest. Finally we saw a flock of 15-20 birds in a field. We parked waded a creek and started an end around. when we Got to the field the birds were already headed up the hill. So I charged them and actually got a really good bust. So we set up and waited for birds to call. In an hour we had heard nothing. Well nothing except 4 wheelers tearing up the hillside like a Daytona race track. These idiots would zoom around the hill and then stop and yell at each other across the valley. So we pulled out and drove 20 miles to another spot. Down a forest service track we head and I look ahead and yes it's turkey's in the road, then on cue it starts raining. Never mind the rain, we're on turkeys. we maneuver and get position and I hear something, here comes a pick up, and he drives right through the turkeys and pulls over and starts a little afternoon delight with his lady friend.....you got to be kidding me. So out of there we go and check the service road gate and the lock is gone. This joker has been doing this for a while. We go out another ridge and find ton's of sign, but the monsoons set in so we quit with the plan of returning this morning. So this morning we're johnny on the spot and not one turkey sound until 9:00 am. A single bird yelps and we set up. Then we hear a truck coming and can't believe a guy pulls in right above us and get's out and starts a chain saw and cuts down a tree....on National forest! We checked and he had a firewood permit and access. So we move on. We eventually jump a couple birds and sat to see if they'd work. After maybe 45 minutes of silence I decide to stretch and yup there stands a turkey 40 yards away looking at me. By the time I grab for the gun it's gone. we walked 417 more miles and saw nothing, so we came home early. If we'd only had a video camera I'm sure we could have won America's funniest Home video contest. This is my first fall season in over ten years I've ended with tag soup in Kentucky. We actually did have a good visit with my buddy down there and three days hunting is still a good time.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Home from Ky fall huunt/a comedy review

Postby Gopherlongbeards » December 3rd, 2012, 10:53 pm

Wow eggshell, sounds like quite the trip. sometimes all you can do is sit down and laugh huh?

eggshell

Postby eggshell » December 3rd, 2012, 11:08 pm

Oh I forgot to mention we hit a deer, with the truck, on the way down.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 3rd, 2012, 11:34 pm

Boy!! That deers bad luck sprayed all over ur guys truck and lasted all weekend, sounded like a tough weekend. :|
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » December 4th, 2012, 7:57 am

I never thought about it being the deer's fault, Scott. We were talking on the way home and reminisced on how many successful trips we have made. In the last few years we've made an average of 4 out of state trips turkey hunting per year, and this is the first one in at least 8-10 years we came home without one of us having a turkey in the cooler. I'll take those odds. I think that is one of the things we all find so fulfilling about turkey hunting. Even when the hunt is unproductive or your luck sux it's still a great time and adventure. Compared to everyday life it doesn't even register on the suckometer of life. We spent 3 days away from the fray and never even discussed the many troubles waiting at home, we got good exercise, we engaged nature and reveled at God's creation. If only today had the promise of yesterday in the woods I'd be a happy man. A day turkey hunting is recharging of the soul, if only those who oppose our hunting culture could understand, it really is more than the killing. If God had not meant for man to enjoy and use these great resources he never would have created them.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 4th, 2012, 9:01 am

Sounds like that song from HEE-HAW, "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all" :D
Dana your attitude is great. For those that don't understand that good friends and a good effort mean more than a bird in the hand, that is what hunting is about.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » December 4th, 2012, 9:51 am

:roll: All you can do is put your hand to your forehead, sigh, and chuckle! You gave it the old college try and spent time with friends... tough to beat that.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 4th, 2012, 11:23 am

I agree with you a 100% Dana, the hunt means everything, the bird is just a bonus. I am superstissouse :lol: , and if something goes bad on the way hunting it effects the way a hunt turns out. I have many camo hats, but I was waring one of them and hunted 3 hr and didn't see or hear a bird, I walked back to the truck and grabbed my lucky hat and headed back in, sat down for 10 min, called a bird in and took him and walked back out. Did the hat make a difference, who knows :? .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

hawglips

Postby hawglips » December 4th, 2012, 2:42 pm

eggshell wrote:I charged them and actually got a really good bust. So we set up and waited for birds to call.

Eggshell, I'm curious as to why you waited for the birds to call before you started calling?

eggshell

Postby eggshell » December 4th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Sorry I didn't mean we weren't calling. I usually wait 15 to 20 minutes and then throw a soft whistle or cluck. However, if a bird starts calling I'm right behind it with an answer. I never meant we did not call at all.

Next

Return to Fall Hunting