Ethics Test-Bowhunting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
silvestris

RE: Ethics Test-Bowhunting

Postby silvestris » March 2nd, 2009, 5:21 am

Ahhhh, the Ishi books.  Very valuable in teaching you how to think like a turkey.  Don't let the Saldu see you, the Saldu are bad medicine.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 2nd, 2009, 7:33 am

This isn't pointed at anyone in particular, and it is especially not pointed at bowhunters in particular.

I'm not a big advocate of bow hunting turkeys, but I won't knock a guy for trying. Some of the folks who've already replied echo my sentiments.   I'm just not big anymore on method as a driving motive for sport hunting.

Supposedly the "METHOD" hunter is part of this whole Evolution of the Hunter theory I've seen bantered about the last decade.  I think the whole theory is hooey.  I also think Method is a dark bunny hole to run down.  After bow gets boring, then what?  Hand to hand combat? 

But don't get me wrong, whatever is legal and fair chase is fine by me.  You're the guy who's got to chase after them after a botched shot. Have at it.

I get to thinking about something similar every year after I get done bagging my first bird.  What am I going to do next?  I've thought about dragging out my old 1100 Trap gun, or my Granddad's Model 12 in 16 GA , but then I catch myself.  WHY???  I bought the dedicated 12 GA with the 3" chamber for a reason.  I'd feel pretty doggone stupid if I touched one of them off at a nice bird and have the bird just stare at me ( as they have in years past).  Now what? Personally I hate that feeling. I generally don't want that hanging over my head. I blew a shot last year on the last weekend that was probably righteous but long-- I'm still kicking myself. 

I see these discussions on other forums over a variety of method-oriented hunting topics.  Here is my question:  It's a challenge, right?  It has risk in it, right?  Okay Nimrod, who bears the brunt of the risk? Who suffers the most on the blown shot? 

Again, don't get me wrong.  If someone wants to hunt a turkey with a bow or a spear or a wrestle them hand to hand, I'm with ya' all the way. I'm just rhetorically asking about  the motive, and it's not something I expect anyone to answer to me for.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 2nd, 2009, 7:50 am

If you don't own a shotgun,your hungry and all you have is a bow...then by all means go after one.

If you have a shotgun leave the bow at home, it's not more challenging hunting with a bow unless your taking 70 yd shots.
If you want more challenge,leave the decoys at home and take shots at 20 yds or less.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » March 2nd, 2009, 7:56 am

I have a question for all of you anti-bowhunting (turkey) guys. What about the guys who hunt with magnus bullheads or the gobbler guillotine? These are broadheads that are made for head shots only. They advertise these as the best way to hunt turkeys with a bow because it is either a clean miss or you basically lop the turkeys head off and they drop like a brick. I consider this the most ethical way to hunt them with a bow.  Just looking for your input on these?
Personally I have never hunted them with a bow. I vowed last year that from now on if I can get one with my shotgun first I would use my second tag bow only. Unfortunately my huntling last season was limited and I couldnt connect on a bird at all, so I never made it out with a bow.  I am hoping to give it a try this may!

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » March 3rd, 2009, 5:34 am

[:'(] Hey J Hook Max stand down wind from my blind about 12/15 yards & hold out your favorite item, hold still if you can I will shoot it out of your hand! A bow shoot turkey will die just the same it's the recovery attempt made by the hunter. Just watch any Double Bull Archery Video & tell me that arrows don't work...
Yes this is for the camera & what sells, but you should try it sometime!
I have shoot since 1969, 2 rotator cuff surgeries and over a half million shots later. I think I can kill most anything under 20 yards...
I started bow hunting turkeys in 1996 here in WI. With only 5 days per year to hunt back then, I started to go to MN also. Now I can hunt 10/15 days if possiable [:)] ... 
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » March 5th, 2009, 5:30 am

i am still waiting for responses on the head shot only broadheads? I believe there is a big difference in the ethics here! I would love to hear some input from those of you who oppose bowhunting.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 5th, 2009, 5:51 am

Sometimes they would call a turkey in with a wingbone and have a small child hiding in the brish and they would jump out and grab them. It was more likely for them to harvest a bird that way then shoot with a bow.

Sounds like a funny story but it is true.

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

You must never have read the story of Pope & Young when they lived with the indian..

As I recall the indian could'nt hit very well with the bow and never killed an animal with a bow as long as they knew him.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

J Hook Max

Postby J Hook Max » March 5th, 2009, 3:42 pm

If you are good enough, go ahead.I seriously doubt that very many are that good.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 6th, 2009, 4:42 am

i have taken birds with bow and gun. if i had only one choose it would be the gun.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion