Winter Season is On

charlie elk

Winter Season is On

Postby charlie elk » November 26th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Today, Monday was the first day of the winter season. Due to ongoing firearm deer seasons orange must be worn until Dec 10th when we can go back to the no see em clothing. This requirement makes it much more challenging, even for Vic clad in orange he has a much harder time getting close for good breaks. Plus the 9 gun season has dispersed the turkeys on most farms to parts unknown. And public land birds--yikes who knows how far back they were pushed.
But those turkeys can only hide for so long before we find them. :lol: ;)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Winter Season is On

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 27th, 2012, 10:58 am

The last day of the gun season, I had a flock of bird roosted on the other ridge and a flock of gobblers roosted on my side of the marshy hollow. At first light the gobbles started gobblling and then the hen flock started yelping. I was sitting on the ground watching the hollow wishing I had a turkey call with me. I could no longer take it, I had to find something to call the birds in, so I dug out a a cupcake and took it out off the plastic wrapper, rolled up the wrapper and rolled it between my hands, to make the sound of a bird scratching in the leaves. I heard the gobblers fly down and were gobbling like it was a spring morning, the hen flock flew over from the other ridge to join them. A couple of the young birds landed in the trees in front of me and were looking around. Waring blaze orange from head to toe, you couldn't move much, you stuck out like a sore thumb, but I kept crunching that plastic wrapper and did a soft whistle kee kee and down they came clucking and yelping about 20 yards in front of me. They were making such a racket that the other bird moved over to join them. I saw 5 good gobblers and about 15 hens/poults in that group, all within 50 yards of me in the pines and mixed hardwoods. My orange suit didn't seem to bother them much, but it limits your movements. It was fun to try and get them in close without a call and make them do what normally you wouldn't think of them doing. Being more of a turkey hunter than a deer hunter it made my day. Those birds were on public land and I'll remember their roost area for the spring hunts.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » November 27th, 2012, 4:39 pm

That's cool.
WillowRidgeCalls wrote:My orange suit didn't seem to bother them much, but it limits your movements.

The moving part is the problem, especially with Vic involved. :lol: We're up for the challenge though.

About Tuesday during the gun season the gangs in pickups descend onto our usual quiet countryside, driving every piece of cover imaginable, sometimes 3 to 4 times per day for the rest of the season. All the wildlife gets scattered about. I haven't seen or heard a turkey since, but they are there somewhere.

The winter season with all its unique challenges is becoming one of my favorite times to hunt turkeys.
Good hunting to all those who try it.
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » November 27th, 2012, 6:11 pm

I think we go a little overboard with the whole camo thing (although I do it too. I just feel better wearing camo I guess). As long as you limit your movement and chose a good setup the turkeys don't seem to mind too much. I've had turkeys walk right past me sitting against a tree in regular street clothes on several occasions. Then again, I've had them bust me when I haven't batted an eyelash as well. It all depends on the particular bird I guess.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » November 28th, 2012, 10:21 am

While we're on the subject of plastic wrappers calling in turkeys. I've read about using plastic grocery bags to imitate spitting and drumming; do you or anyone else know how that is done?
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 28th, 2012, 1:09 pm

charlie elk wrote:While we're on the subject of plastic wrappers calling in turkeys. I've read about using plastic grocery bags to imitate spitting and drumming; do you or anyone else know how that is done?

First I've heard of that, be interesting to see or hear how it's done? 8-)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » December 9th, 2012, 10:50 am

Well winter is here, probably getting 8-10" of snow here between yesterday and today. Looking forward to my first turkey hunt with snow on the ground in the coming weeks :D

Return to Wisconsin