Tree Pitting!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gobblernut

Tree Pitting!!

Postby Gobblernut » October 29th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Was reading an article in recent magazine, just curious as to where to find a audible sound for tree pitting. Read as to how it should sound, but wanted to actually hear it went to NWTF web site but it's not there all others are. Actually had never heard of that call. Any direction in finding an audible sound for that call just interested in learning the call. Thanks.
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Tree Pitting!!

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 29th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I had posted a vid on how to do it here on T&TH, back about a year or so ago, but not sure if it's still on here or not?
Larry Proffitt has a vid on it also, and so did the NWTF site?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » October 30th, 2012, 7:44 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:I had posted a vid on how to do it here on T&TH, back about a year or so ago, but not sure if it's still on here or not?
Larry Proffitt has a vid on it also, and so did the NWTF site?

Interesting read.. I'll have to shoot Larry an e-mail!! Thanls!!
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

simpzenith

Postby simpzenith » November 23rd, 2012, 12:00 pm

What is tree pitting? Never heard of it.
2014 MN State & Iowa State Open Champion
http://www.CallingAllTurkeys.com

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 23rd, 2012, 1:26 pm

It's a tree call that birds do on the roost as they get excited by other birds talking in the morning. It's a fast speed call that changes speed as the bird gets more excited, and as it slows down they go into a yelping and then picks back up in speed that switches back to clucks and cutts, ending in raspy yelps. They run it continuallouslyfor about a couple min. usally ending in a couple deep raspy yelps. Have you ever sat in the woods and listened to a hen on the roost that never seems to shut up, she keeps going on and on with her clucks, cutts, yelps, non stop, it's a mix of calls that are all jumbled together, but it's a soft call, that's tree pitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVM28MAS ... re=related

this vid has a hen in it that does a lot of roost pitting.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » November 24th, 2012, 9:57 am

I have been wanting to hear that call for a long time my self.Larry lives in my home town but every time I see him we dont have time to talk turkey,but at the nwtf banquet this year I am going to get him run that call for me.He is the best on a trumpet call.

misoiltester

Postby misoiltester » November 24th, 2012, 3:25 pm

rbewilson wrote:I have been wanting to hear that call for a long time my self.Larry lives in my home town but every time I see him we dont have time to talk turkey,but at the nwtf banquet this year I am going to get him run that call for me.He is the best on a trumpet call.

You lucky guy, you ;)
I hunted with him in Mexico last spring, and never got a chance for him to take me out huntin', but did hear a lot of his various calls :(
He did offer, to do the call it over the phone, if I'd give him a buzz!! It's just not the same!!
Best to you :D
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion