Turkey's Breeding In VA

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
greyghost

Turkey's Breeding In VA

Postby greyghost » February 27th, 2009, 9:49 am

While running around today I past this field down the road from where I live and there were turkey (2 longbeards and 7 hens). I pulled over to the side of the road and watched them through bino's while enjoying a good cigar for about 20 minutes. They were about 150 yards from me. Then one of the hens squated and the one longbeard which looked to be the smaller bird came over to her with and proceeded with the wam bam thank you mam. After that they pecked around for a few minutes and headed in the woods. Cloudy, temp on the truck read 48, slight wind.

wordbird

RE: Turkey's Breeding In VA

Postby wordbird » February 27th, 2009, 9:58 am

I videod a gobbler breeding a hen on Feb 22. I watched another one that tried his best but the hen wouldn't sit long enough. It was funny. Not uncommon for here. I think the most of the breeding is done before the season opens.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 27th, 2009, 12:25 pm

That nice weather we had last week brought it on...[:)]

ORIGINAL: greyghost

While running around today I past this field down the road from where I live and there were turkey (2 longbeards and 7 hens). I pulled over to the side of the road and watched them through bino's while enjoying a good cigar for about 20 minutes. They were about 150 yards from me. Then one of the hens squated and the one longbeard which looked to be the smaller bird came over to her with and proceeded with the wam bam thank you mam. After that they pecked around for a few minutes and headed in the woods. Cloudy, temp on the truck read 48, slight wind.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 27th, 2009, 12:29 pm

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

Days do seem to be getting longer. [:D]
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 27th, 2009, 12:36 pm

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

I must be getting old since the weather here last week never got out of the 40's. But I guess if you are young that is a heat wave.[:D]

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 28th, 2009, 9:40 am

Maybe those turkeys are from yankee land...... just down there on a spring break vacation (or snowbirds) and thought with warm temps it was go time. [;)] We had an unseasonable warmup yesterday 50 degrees and back to single digits this am. [X(]
"Old School Elitist"

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion