Never Heard

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
WillowRidgeCalls

Never Heard

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 4th, 2012, 10:25 am

I was out this morning and didn't hear any turkeys (or so I thought). I was set up off the end of a bunch of pines in the hardwoods along a brush line. I ran a few tree yelps and keeyelps, but nothing? Thought hmmmmm nothing here today? Waited a bit and ran another sequal, still nothing. Slipped my box out and ran a few deep raspy yelps and a bird answered, but it wasn't a turkey, it was a high pitched squeal, almost like a hawk squeal. Gave it some time and ran a few more raspy yelps, again the same high pitched squeal answered. Thought what in the heck is that? It was in the pines where the bird usealy roost. Thought it's got to be a hawk or maybe a young eagle, with that kind of a high pitched squeal? I waited a bit again and then ran a raspy yelp, a gobble, and 3 more yelps. That bird went nuts, started squealing up a storm, and out of the pines glides a bird. It lands in front of me and starts squealing again and goes into a gobble. I couldn't believe my eyes, I've never in all my years of turkey hunting ever heard a bird sound like that thing did? I tried to immatate him, but couldn't get my call to sound that high pitched of a squeal. He was going bananas squealing and gobbling as he walked around in front of me. I could see he had a short beard sticking out, so not sure just how old he was, but he sounded like he froze his giblets tight to a limb and tried to fly off :lol: . I let him walk just to see if by next spring he develops a voice or if he stays that high pitched. A strange bird for sure, wish I'd of had a camera to video that, never heard anything sound that bad in the turkey woods, and the only thing he'd answer was gobbler talk :?: He wanted nothing to do with hen or poult talk, and he was by himself, strange?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Re: Never Heard

Postby eggshell » November 4th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Way back many moons ago there was this gobbler on my cousin's farm that we called Long gobble. I saw and heard him for three years and his gobble never changed. He quit gobbling one April morning because he choked on a load of #4s. He would start out by making a sound similar to if you blow hard across a mouth call without varying the air flow or pressure (you know screech) and go right into a deep throaty and course Gobble strung out forever. It was weird, so I killed him for annoying me. He was nothing special outside of his gobble. I too have often thought I wish I could of recorded him.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 5th, 2012, 10:40 am

That's the way this bird is Dana. He starts out with a long shirek squeal and then fades into a gobble. Sometimes he'd just squealed, it starts out at a lower pitch and climbs to a shrill high pitched loud squeal, and that was the only sounds he made? I had heard that squeal earlier in the season, but never thought it was a turkey, wasn't sure what the heck it was? After seeing it, now I know. A strange bird for sure. He won't be able to hide this coming spring if he doesn't change his sounds any, cuz that sound stands out real easy. If you hear it, you'll know it's a gobbler :o .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » November 5th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Not quite the same thing, Scott, but this spring after a frustrating early morning of calling with no responses, I just blasted a high-pitched screech (sounded like a mix of a sea gull, hawk, and dying rabbit) on a mouth call and ended it with excited cuts.

You guessed it... a gobble about 100 yds away. I crept closer, inside the woodline, and did it several more times. Gobbles again. Tom was in the field strutting. Unfortunately I missed the shot.

My thought, "Yikes...did I just imitate the controversial 'Squealing Hen' call?" Few days later I talked to a fellow who hunts that area. He said he has used the commercial "Squealing Hen" call successfully there.

Hmm... will you be creating the "Squealing Tom" call? :)

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 5th, 2012, 4:49 pm

I think it is of utmost importance to post this warning......

IF YOU TRY THIS SQUEALING TOM CALL DO NOT LET IT DROP INTO THE LOWER OCTAVES! THAT BECOMES A SASQUATCH CALL AND YOU DON'T WANT TO BE THE FOCUS OF AN AROUSED YETI
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 5th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Duke0002 wrote:Hmm... will you be creating the "Squealing Tom" call? :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Gosh I hope not. :o
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

TheCallDr

Postby TheCallDr » December 3rd, 2012, 12:20 am

I can't remember who made the cassette tape but he talked about the "Wild Cat" call. I have never heard ( or recorded ) what you described but my bet is it's the same call.
WildTalker Game Calls
"Talk on the Wild Side"

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » December 18th, 2012, 9:11 pm

I have heard that call 4 times and each time it was at first light. Usually a few cluck's will bring the bird in when they do that.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Return to Calling