Ethics Check: The Mystery Caller

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Magnumdood

RE: Ethics Check: The Mystery Caller

Postby Magnumdood » February 27th, 2009, 9:54 am

[align=center][color="#cc0000"][size="7"]A[/size][/color]

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 27th, 2009, 9:56 am

I would have to say C. But. I would drop back about a hundred yards or so to see what happens and to see if I could hear any other birds in the area that may gobble to the noises being made by the tom and the Hen or hunter. Public land is funny. I try to avoid it if I can.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » February 27th, 2009, 11:53 am

ORIGINAL: Ozarks Hillbilly
The one I hate and has happened to me twice is the hunter that is between you and a bird and lets you do the calling for them and they never make a peep. The next thing you know you hear BOOM scares the crap out me.

That's the worst.  I've had that happen -- never knew someone slipped in between us the roost tree. The other hunter never made a call though I could hear leaves rustling as the "hunter" (actually just a unethical stalker/killer, no hunting skill needed in this situation) crept into position just out of sight to my left below the bench.  I didn't know what was making the sounds in the leaves, thought perhaps a coyote, but five minutes later, BOOM!
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 27th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Jim that's scary, any time another hunter slips in on you it is scary. If I only heard yelps I would sit tight and see what unfolds however if I determined it was absolutely another hunter I would make my presence known and then move off. In any case I would refrain from calling until the situation was determined.
Turkeybuster

OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER

Postby OTSDAWA_RIDGE_HUNTER » February 28th, 2009, 6:59 am

I agree with NYSuperSportsman on this one.  Better to bail then risk getting either one of you shot. 

J Hook Max

Postby J Hook Max » February 28th, 2009, 7:48 am

I would sit tight for at least a half hour or so.It may be a turkey that you here.I would not try and outcall them or go around them.

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » February 28th, 2009, 8:24 am

Would this be a good argument for using a pop-up blind, then ? ...Assuming you don't brush it all up and conceal it from even human eyes. Turkeys don't know what that thing is, but there aren't too many hunter who wouldn't recognize one.

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » February 28th, 2009, 10:04 am

I would say C reluctantly. I would hang around a bit and listen so maybe I could decide if it was a hen or a hunter. I would most certinly return to that area later if no shot was herd. I have walked away from what I thought was hunters only to see I was wrong. I hate that.
live to hunt hunt to live

dwfish

Postby dwfish » February 28th, 2009, 1:43 pm

I'm new here ... just trying to figure out how this all works.  I'd have to say a reluctant "A", but I usually go quiet and see what happens and see if I really do have another hunter around.  It scares me so I don't even like to get up and move.  If the "hunter" shoots the bird ... so-be-it; but then I know he's done hunting for the morning and I can go about my business.  If it's public land I have just as much right to be there as any other hunter.

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » March 11th, 2009, 11:36 am

C. WALK AWAY COME BACK NEXT DAY TRY AGAIN.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion