How far is too far ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Magnumdood

RE: How far is too far ?

Postby Magnumdood » February 27th, 2009, 3:38 am

Madness?

Why?  because you wouldn't try it?

If you have a good pattern at 70 yards, why not?

Face it - Hevi-Shot and the other HTL shot (Hevi-Shot isn't exactly new) is as different from Pb as Pb is from steel shot.

The ranges increase dramatically and the energy delivered at 60 ~ 70 yards with HTL shot is better than lead delivers at 40 yards.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 27th, 2009, 4:01 am

It's taking the sport out of it, if they have shot that will kill um at 70 yds this year, then next year it will be 80 yards....This is getting ridiculous with the shot distances, they may as well allow you to shoot them with a rifle.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 27th, 2009, 4:02 am

70 yards,why not?.....? whats up with that? you might as well hunt them with a rifle.....

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 27th, 2009, 4:50 am

Its like I stated in another thread that even with the guns and ammo today and you are one heck of a turkey shooting/killing machine AT the range on a still target usally off a nice rest and calm it is a whole new ball game in the woods  or open field shooting in different positions and still maintain the consistency on a live bird in the heat of battle through the woods or an open field. Foot lb. energy and all to me is somewhat taken out of the equation at the longer ranges with the other varibles.

My 2 cents is along the lines of TC, TB32 and Trkyklr.

Just like the re-invent of the muzzelloader today, 250 yards and now I heard 300. Adavance is great but maybe not in all things.

Brian Lovett may kick me off of here but again one must wounder why some of the top names in the industry do not post their thoughts on boards. Anyway he has 3 books out that are a good read (points) and has his opinions and thoughts on a lot of the polite discussions we have here on this forum. I would recommend if not everyone has them to get one.
He also gives his thoughts on stalking another polite topic being discussed now. His books are: (more points)

"The Turkey Hunters", the last chapter in this book is a must for all. And I am not ashamed to say it brought tears to my eyes. 'Ashely's Wish' One of the best turkey stories I have read.

'Turkey Hunters Almanac'

'Hunting Pressured Turkeys'

Not that Brian's words or thoughts are any different then some and will not or should not change how any of us feel about something, its just another perspective at turkey hunting and something to think about where maybe turkey hunting is headed.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 27th, 2009, 7:05 am

I guess how far is too far is a personal choice, I am keeping mine inside what I presume to be 40 yards or less. A turkeys head is a awfully small target at 70 yards to me.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 27th, 2009, 7:21 am

I hunt for the adrenaline rush I get when I am in close quarters with a gobbler.  I don't get that rush at 70, 60, 50 or 40 yards.  Frequently it takes 25 yards or less to get the rush.[i]  [/i]I would rather let a 50 yard gobbler walk than shoot him that far.  I may get the rush with that gobbler tomorrow or next year if  don't pull the trigger.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 27th, 2009, 12:35 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

ORIGINAL: Magnumdood

the energy delivered at 60 ~ 70 yards with HTL shot is better than lead delivers at 40 yards.

Don't kid yourself into believing it.

I'm not the one kidding myself.  I've seen the equations (somewhat more complex than the old mv squared/2) and I've seen real world penetration tests done on plywood and sheet steel.  HTL shot penetrates wood and steel farther at 70 yards than lead does at 40.  Sorry boys, the tests and the math don't lie.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 27th, 2009, 1:12 pm

The boys from the 'show me state' might be reading...show us.

http://oldgobbler.com/TheForum/index.ph ... #msg169392

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 27th, 2009, 3:04 pm

#9 shot....you have any idea how small #9 shot is ?
Seeing as I hand load, why yes, I do.

Isn't that the same guy that claimed he could kill a turkey with #9 Hevishot at 80 yards ?

hOgg Wash....plain and simple.
Why, yes he is, and I believe him.  Why?  Because he has done actual testing whereas you're guessing from your Lazyboy Recliner..

----------------------------------------------

I've shot lots of turkeys with copper lead shot and lots of turkeys with Hevi Shot and I've yet to see a difference in killing powder based on the ever so slight weight difference in lead and hevi shot.
But, then, you never shoot past 40 yards where even steel shot would kill a turkey.

As far as penetration goes I've yet to shoot a tin turkey.....
No, but you've shot bone like that extra-thick layer between your ears.

An argument could be made for lead being softer and imparting more of it's energy on the target...

Remember in rifles soft points do more damage than solid projectiles.
Little behind the times aren't you?  Ever hear of Barnes TSX's?

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 27th, 2009, 3:16 pm

ORIGINAL: greyghost

'Ashely's Wish' One of the best turkey stories I have read.

'Hunting Pressured Turkeys'

I've read the above and you're right; Ashley's Wish will break your heart.

Next

Return to Shooting