warning from the warden

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkaholic

warning from the warden

Postby turkaholic » February 26th, 2009, 5:16 pm

A few years ago I took my son who was 10 and one of his friends out to listen for gobbles in April. Our season here in CT would not start for a month. We were only a half mile in the woods and gobblers were feeling fine that morning. I had both boys all in hunting drab including myself. I just wanted to get them intrested and knew this would do the trick. After fly down birds were all around us and I scratched leaves and soon strutters came in like a dream. After a hour of this I packed up the boys and started out of the woods. At the base of the trail a warden poped out behind a tree and told us to halt. He looked at me and said follow me your getting a ticket. I think he must have hunted here, because he was mad. I explained to him that I thought this is what we as hunters were supposed to do, get the youngsters involved. I told him I was an hunters education instructor and he started to calm down. He claimed I was calling to the birds. I told him, that was an old hen not me. He made me empty my pockets and I had no calls so he let us go. He felt bad after that and started telling me about some new state land that was just opened for hunting. I have never returned to that spot again. I still am not sure what the ticket would have been for, but I won't do that again.
live to hunt hunt to live

trkynut54

RE: warning from the warden

Postby trkynut54 » February 27th, 2009, 12:21 am

If you ask me he was way out of line. It's not against the law to be in the woods anytime. I would have gotten his badge number and called his supervisor. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 27th, 2009, 1:33 am

ORIGINAL: trkynut54

If you ask me he was way out of line. It's not against the law to be in the woods anytime. I would have gotten his badge number and called his supervisor. 

I agree with trkynut54. I would have taken some ID info and reported him to your local state game office.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 27th, 2009, 2:28 am

It's not uncommon for game enforcement personel to be unfamiliar with all of the rules and laws, especially if they just got transferred over from the fisheries division or such. Not saying it excuses them, just that it happens.

Regular law enforcement personel are even less familiar with game laws. About twenty years ago my brother-in-law and I were shining deer with a spotlight in an area that we hunted. It is legal in Michigan from Oct 1 to Nov 1 only before 11:00 pm and there must be no firearms or bows in the vehicle. Someone who had built a new house down the road called the police. We're already sitting on the side of the road when the cop pulls up with lights flashing. He says, "What are you doing?" My BIL says "Shining deer." Cop says "Well, that's illegal." BIL says "No it's not,"  pulls the state hunting regs from above the visor of the truck and proceeds to read them to the officer. I was trying real hard not to laugh. The cop, obviously embarassed, says, "Well let me see some ID then," to try and save face. I'm sure whomever called the cops thought it was illegal as well.

Without knowing the game laws in your state, it certainly seems as if you didn't do anything illegal. With no calls in your possession, it would be tough to prove you were calling turkeys just by scratching in the leaves.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

turkaholic

Postby turkaholic » February 27th, 2009, 4:06 am

From what I read the only rules pertaining to calling is during the season. You cannot call for another if you do not possess a valid tag. Also no electronic calling devices. I just think I caught him in a bad mood and he figured he had caught someone poaching and when it didn't go his way it ticked him off.
live to hunt hunt to live

blingbones1

Postby blingbones1 » February 27th, 2009, 5:10 am

if i was u ide go back there to hunt. 

chadb

Postby chadb » February 27th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I dont know about yalls state, but in TN it is illegal to call to wilid turkeys using any means to mimic the sounds made by turkeys on all WMAs from March 1 till opening day of season. I think its a perty good rule and should be adopted by every state if they havent already.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion