Autumn Fun

WillowRidgeCalls

Autumn Fun

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 28th, 2012, 7:30 pm

I was out turkey huntin this aft, to a new piece of public that I haven't turkey hunted before. I pheasant hunted it years ago when it used to be farm land, but haven't been back to it since the early 90's. It has some small woodlots and marsh that has some pines planted along the edge and now open grass/weeds fields. I setup along the edge of the woods with an old field road/walking trail along it. The pines are about 70yds in front of me and on the other side of the grass. I didn't get out there until about 1:00, and about 2:00 I grabed my box and started with some deep cutts and clucks, and got an answer back, one lone deep cluck, in the pines. I listened, but nothing. I called back with a couple raspy yelps-a jake gobble-yelp-yelp, the field exploded with birds, gobbles, yelps, kee kees, clucks. I had gobblers on the right and hens on the left of me. I chimed in with jake yelps and gobbles and then went to the soft keeyelps. It took about 10 min until I see a full fan coming my way. He'd fan out and I could see his tail over the grass, but not him. He was getting closer to the field road which would put him at about 15yds in front of me. I could hear him working through the grass as he was getting closer. then all went silent. A couple min later a bird flys out of the grass, then another and another. Shortly after a bowhunter comes walking down the road heading back in, he walks past and stops, then cuts up into the woods and goes over the hill behind me, deeper into the woods, a short time later he comes back over the hill and walks pass me on the other side and back onto the road, stops, looks, and heads back into the woods again right at me. He gets to the next tree in front of me and sets his bow down and then his stool and sits there, 3 trees from me, less than 10yds and starts looking around, even right at me. I thought, what the heck is he blind? I'm just sittin against a tree, facing him. He sits there a while, looking all around? I had put my calls away because I was going to move down and into the other batch of pines. I thought oh well lets have a little fun, I eased my box back out and laid into a loud gobble. He flew up off his seat about a foot and landed back on it and tipped over, got up cussin :lol: . He looks at me and starts apologizing for coming in and sittin on top of me. I got up (had all I could do to keep from laughin) and asked if he was ok and talked with him a bit. He said he's bow hunted that area for years but has never seen anyone turkey hunting it before. We talked about turkeys and if he heard any in the mornings, he said heck yeah they're always roosted back in the pines and come out and work up through the line of pines and into the woods. So I guess I was bad :oops: , but it turned out well. He headed out with me (probably to change his shorts) and chatted as we went about deer and turkeys. Tomarrow morning I'll be back in there after those gobblers and see what happens? :D :o :D :D
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Autumn Fun

Postby Gopherlongbeards » October 28th, 2012, 9:06 pm

that's one of the best stories I've heard in awhile Scott :D. get after those gobblers now!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 29th, 2012, 2:00 pm

That's good stuff ,Scott . CLASSIC

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » October 29th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Now that is funny :lol: Too bad it isn't on film :o
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » October 29th, 2012, 8:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin