ethics check re: april 09

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
tom slayer

ethics check re: april 09

Postby tom slayer » February 26th, 2009, 3:47 pm

responses to the april 09 ethics check article:
i found this article very interesting because if you are in the turkey woods long enough you will almost certainly come across everyone of these scenarios...

1: mystery caller... this is a common one..even on private land with trespassers..if i come across this scenario with a person i know for a fact is trespassing i will call out from my location HUNTER HERE.. before i stand up and before he shoots what shouldnt be his bird..then we can have a talk from there.. theres always tommorow...if on public land id most likely stay put ..the bird may circle around and if not you get to see someone else get their bird and maybe meet a new friend after the kill...

2: i would not shoot a bird off of bait..ive come across bait set ups and blinds in the field and destroyed them.. if you know what you are doing you shouldnt need bait..

3: flushed to roost in mid day.. how high up? that would be my dilema ...10 feet off the ground to take a look at me...maybe....big maybe.....any higher..no... if im busted im busted...he wins...........today....

4: rifle kill to complete the grand slam......grand damn slam.....if its legal and its your last resort..im shootin him...after all once you get that first slam under your belt you can probly afford to get a little more picky on how you wanna get your next one..until then final bird final day final hour...break out the .17 hmr lol...

PS..the article on sleeping....couldn't of written it better myself... my fave nap nest is a permanent private land hideaway i have where i have taken 2 bucket leather seats from the auto wreckers and hauled them to the back 40 ..dug them to ground level and wow... the best alarm clock in the world is the sound of spittin & drummin 4 feet from your deke at 8 am. anyone i take to this spot can attest to that!

Timber Chicken

RE: ethics check re: april 09

Postby Timber Chicken » February 26th, 2009, 4:01 pm

#1 I would just leave for safety reasons.

#2 I think baiting is not turkey hunting it's turkey killing so i would leave again.

#3 I don't shoot turkeys out of trees so I would leave again.

#4 I don't believe rifles should be allowed turkey hunting so I wouldn't lower my standards just to kill a turkey.
Experience is the best teacher.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 26th, 2009, 5:33 pm

ORIGINAL: Timber Chicken

#2 I think baiting is not turkey hunting it's turkey killing so i would leave again.

#4 I don't believe rifles should be allowed turkey hunting so I wouldn't lower my standards just to kill a turkey.

Same here and add ...no stalking
turkeykiller

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 26th, 2009, 5:43 pm

ORIGINAL: StevePA

#1 would depend on the circumstances, but I agree with the rest and would add; no pre-season calling.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 26th, 2009, 7:46 pm

ORIGINAL: Magnumdood

ORIGINAL: StevePA

#1 would depend on the circumstances, but I agree with the rest and would add; no pre-season calling.

And I would add no 60 yard guns. Double barrels only. [:D] [;)]

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 27th, 2009, 2:41 am

Only No. 3.  If I call a turkey and he flies into a tree in range, he ain't roosted, he is in trouble.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 27th, 2009, 3:30 am

deleted

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 27th, 2009, 4:56 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

Only No. 3.  If I call a turkey and he flies into a tree in range, he ain't roosted, he is in trouble.

Good point there, I agree. Of cource you know this may start another politically correct thread.

Ben Sobieck

Postby Ben Sobieck » February 27th, 2009, 5:15 am

I'm posting the four questions in their entirety as separate threads. Check them out!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion