Fall turkey hunting in Southern Illinois

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allaboutshooting

Fall turkey hunting in Southern Illinois

Postby allaboutshooting » October 18th, 2012, 6:13 pm

It's just 2 days until the fall turkey season here in Southern Illinois! We've been seeing a lot of birds in the last couple of months.

There was a lot of concern about survival of the hatch due to the excessive heat and drought we experienced this summer but in most areas, it looks pretty good.

I spoke with a conservation officer on Tuesday evening and he told me that the population is "spotty". Some traditionally good areas look pretty thin, while others appear to have normal flocks.

The next week will tell the tale.

Good luck to everyone who'll be out there.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Re: Fall turkey hunting in Southern Illinois

Postby mark hay » October 18th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Best of hunts to ya Clark,,,,,,hope you have great weather and lots of loudmouth birds

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 18th, 2012, 10:26 pm

mark hay wrote:Best of hunts to ya Clark,,,,,,hope you have great weather and lots of loudmouth birds

Thank you. We'll give it our best shot. It's been very windy here the last few days and rain is in the forecast but we'll just hope they're wrong about the rain and hope that the wind dies down. Either way, it will be good to be back in the fields and woods chasing those big birds.

Thanks,
Clark

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » October 19th, 2012, 11:14 am

good luck with them "southern" birds.
i'll be chasin em up this way and looks like beautiful weather sat. and sun. - sunny and 60, then 70s and t-storms next week. thats spring time weather.
got an email from TTH this morning with some good refresher fall hunting info. one link was kee keeing on a box call, which i had never tried before, but i think i have it sounding pretty good and plan to try it this weekend - after exhausting my gobbler calling, of course. :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 19th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Chief Many Longbeards wrote:good luck with them "southern" birds.
i'll be chasin em up this way and looks like beautiful weather sat. and sun. - sunny and 60, then 70s and t-storms next week. thats spring time weather.
got an email from TTH this morning with some good refresher fall hunting info. one link was kee keeing on a box call, which i had never tried before, but i think i have it sounding pretty good and plan to try it this weekend - after exhausting my gobbler calling, of course. :D

Chief, add the kee kees right in with your gobbler talk. When a jake talks they, yelp--kee kee--yelp--kee kee--gobble-yelp-yelp. If you kee kee then kee kee run, it's more of what a jenny does. Remember, talk like the birds your trying to kill.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 19th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Chief Many Longbeards wrote:good luck with them "southern" birds.

Thank you and very good luck to you as well. It's supposed to be in the 40s here but no rain predicted. Whatever the weather, it will be a good day.

Thanks again,
Clark

gratefulyelp

Postby gratefulyelp » October 23rd, 2012, 9:41 pm

Man that wind sure won't die down! It warmed up and got windy and even though I have seen plenty of scratchings and a few feathers at my favorite Union Co. spot, even heard some birds a week before the season, there has been nothing happening. Only more wind in the forecast, too. I'm hoping that this weekend when it cools down things turn around. I am rather new to turkey hunting and still haven't scored a fall bird.

Good luck to you Clark!

Brian

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 24th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Welcome to T&TH Brian. Fall hunting requires a lot of scouting, you need to get as close to an area that the birds want to be in, meaning if the birds are in a field watch were they are in it or enter or leave it. Fall birds don't come to a call very far, unless they are busted, they tend to use a pattern that they follow, so set up as close to that area as you can get.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 26th, 2012, 2:01 pm

gratefulyelp wrote:Man that wind sure won't die down! It warmed up and got windy and even though I have seen plenty of scratchings and a few feathers at my favorite Union Co. spot, even heard some birds a week before the season, there has been nothing happening. Only more wind in the forecast, too. I'm hoping that this weekend when it cools down things turn around. I am rather new to turkey hunting and still haven't scored a fall bird.

Good luck to you Clark!

Brian

Hey Brian,

Welcome to T&TH. It's good to see you here and I know you'll like it. The wind has been a little tough and with the temperature drop last night...it's cold. You're in a great county for turkeys. In the fall it's really all about finding those flocks. I've had a problem doing that this season. They are just not where they have been. Not even our mail man or meter reader have been seeing any this week and they usually see them.

I hope this is your year for a fall bird. If I can ever be of help, just let me know and I'll do anything I can.

Good luck.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion