Well Dag Gummit, Paint me embarrassed and aggravated

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Gopherlongbeards

Re: Well Dag Gummit, Paint me embarrassed and aggravated

Postby Gopherlongbeards » October 22nd, 2012, 6:18 pm

Well you're getting quite a show this fall! I know its frustrating to miss out on tagging one, but at least it means you get to be out there for another morning. I have yet to hear one gobble this fall, can't wait to hear it. It looks like you've got these boys nailed down and I have no doubt you'll have some extra weight on a shoulder soon enough.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 22nd, 2012, 7:11 pm

I went back this evening and caught the three long beards working up the ridge to where he was this morning. Just when I thought t nothing else can go wrong it does. I am patiently waiting and watching these old boys when I hear four wheelers down in the valley and they get louder and louder. Finally I see them coming and they ride up to with 30 yards of me and stop. They are talking and i just sit there and listen. The one guy is talking about property lines and I figure out he owns the adjoining land. Then i say, hey fellas and they all about jump out of their skin. The owner ask what I'm hunting and I say turkeys, and he ask if I've had any luck and I tell them they spooked the birds I was on. They genuinely seemed to regret that they messed me up. It turns out he is showing the guys boundaries for deer hunting. So I up ask him if I can turkey hunt,since I have him feeling bad and he said yes. so not all is lost as one of the gobblers this morning was roosted on him. I sat the next two hours and saw nor heard anything, but I'll be back in the morning.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » October 22nd, 2012, 7:44 pm

Well looks like you found a silver lining today. Always nice to get permission on some new ground. Hopefully you'll be able to maintain that contact into the future as well.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 22nd, 2012, 8:27 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Well looks like you found a silver lining today. Always nice to get permission on some new ground. Hopefully you'll be able to maintain that contact into the future as well.

X2 ;)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » October 23rd, 2012, 5:55 pm

Well here's today's update. I was on the roost point before daylight, but is was so windy I could hardly hear. The wind died down shortly after light so I hit a hard cluck and series of yelps. Bingo I get a thud of a cluck back from just below me. I wait until the next calm and call and I get an answer from 3 -4 birds spread across in front of me. I think it's my gobblers. I sit tight and occasionally hear the calling of a family group off to my right. The birds called off and on and finally fell silent. I think I hear birds walking over the bank and heading above me, but nothing shows. So at 9:30 I begin moving around and I get an answer from the family group. I sit on them for a while but see nothing. So I decide to head in as I have a noon appointment to get my truck worked on. So I am chugging right along and get to where I can see my truck, so start taking of my head net, gloves, ect. Then my eye catches movement, yep you guessed it the three long beards are scratching up the woods 75 yards from my truck. Of course before I can dive for cover they bust me, so i rush them and send them in three directions. I set up and wait an hour But never heard or saw them again or got any responses. That was my day....I can say that at least my season has been interesting.

Tomorrow morning my main turkey hunting buddy is going along. He doesn't have much time off to hunt this fall so he'll shoot any turkey. I hope to get him a shot, heck if he takes one i may just double up with him. Perhaps we'll get on those gobblers, although I had figured on leaving them alone a couple days now. Maybe one more try then pull off.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » October 24th, 2012, 9:09 am

sounds to me like you are having a great season. definitely entertaining reading your reports. :D
you cant beat hearing em gobble and gettin the toms to work in the fall.
i have been out three times and havent seen a tom during our firearm season, although i did have one cluck back to me opening morning.
i know where a couple of hen/poult flocks are roosting and pretty sure i could get one of them, but i got a few days left in my quest for a longbeard.

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting