schooled again

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
ylpnfol

schooled again

Postby ylpnfol » October 17th, 2012, 7:53 pm

just got in from an evening hunt [ bow for deer ], lots of scratching on the hill i was on, at 6:00, i heard the turkeys coming, i figured what the hey, i'll give it a shot, stood up, got ready, finally saw a bird headed right for the tree i was in, as soon as i thought about drawing...putt putt...she backed out, ended up side stepping me along the edge of the field, a very nice flock for this part of the world, around a dozen birds, they couldn't figure out how to cross the fence leading to the pine thicket in front of me, so back and forth they walked, until one finally jumped up on a branch that was laying across the fence, it flew into the thicket and started calling to the rest, still trying to figure the fence out, i called on my trumpet, and don't you know the rest of the flock flew right to me, like a dozen b-52's coming right to me, one landed pretty much right in front of me, ended up being about 25 yds, i flung an arrow, and killed a patch of dirt somewhere on the other side of it, i'm sure....they finally got into the thicket and called and called to regroup, good times, a week from monday shotgun season opens for my feathered friends, i can hardly wait to be schooled again.....
David

You never know, unless you go

Duke0002

Re: schooled again

Postby Duke0002 » October 18th, 2012, 11:45 am

School's in session here, too. I've either been a few hours late or set up in the wrong spot. Close, but no ceegar.

Good luck getting one of those eastern roadrunners!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 18th, 2012, 7:14 pm

I hear ya boys . I made the bonehead mistake ( again) of calling from an open two-track that runs a long way through big timber . I got no vocal responce . I look down the road one way and see nothing . I turn to look up the road just in time to see two juveniles racing out of the cover . Of course they caught my movement and would not venture any closer . If I only had a brain ! Had I backed off the road before calling they would have ran right to me ,,,,I have no doubt .

It'll only get better

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » October 19th, 2012, 7:39 am

Just like sighting in a gun... we're getting closer to the bullseye!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion