AFTER A BUSY DAY

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

AFTER A BUSY DAY

Postby mark hay » October 17th, 2012, 8:42 am

I split wood and rearranged the woodshed for my momma . Then stacked wood in the shed . Raced back home and inhaled a plate of chicken and noodles , cream corn and mashed 'taters. Dressed quickly , grabbed the recurve and out the door. Made my way along the standing corn and grassy waterway to the edge of the headwaters of Brush Creek . At this spot there is one ash and one big sycamore . Across the creek is a gentle slope of fescue about 30 feet wide between the corn and the creek. The corn is full of deer as it is the only cover near the creek.
I had only been there , standing against that ash tree , for maybe 10 minutes when I could hear some deer coming toward the creek through the corn . They stepped out where the sycamore was between us . The low limbs being full of those big leaves did a good job of concealing me yet allowed me to monitor their movement . A fter a 30 minute feed the doe moved down toward the waters edge . I had but one window of about a 1 foot circle to shoot through the tree limbs . She eventually made that spot and stopped with her eye behind a small willow bush . I rolled my eye to see where the yearling was and it was feeding head down and facing away . Back on the doe ,,,,,,,pick a spot ,,,,,,,,,,,draw , anchor,,,,,,,,,,but I do not recall releasing the arrow. But , I do recall seeing those big yellow fletchings dissapear into her ribs . She jumped once . Looked back and jumped once more . Now she is standing by the corn liccking the exit hole and touching her chest with a forefoot. The yearling is still feeding . Then I could hear her breathing heavy and occasionally coughing . Then she fell and kicked a little and expired .
The arrow with the 250 gr. broadhead did its job very well . Completely passing through and sticking in the dirt on the creek bank. Cutting the top of the heart and one lung .
It's been a long time since I slew a deer, hunting on the ground , with a recurve . Must say it is fun .

mark hay

Re: AFTER A BUSY DAY

Postby mark hay » October 17th, 2012, 8:54 am

Hey guys this is Linda sorry trying to post the picture of the deer but having problems. I'll keep trying.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » October 17th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Good job Mark. :D With a stick bow to boot :D

Linda if you can't get it posted e-mail it to me and I will get it put up.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 17th, 2012, 12:29 pm

Thanks Steve . I see she did NOT lose my post after all.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion