Conclusion: Dread and the Fugitive Mind

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 16th, 2011, 4:38 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I did what any good turkey hunter would do: I cheated. Well, actually, I played the middle.

I had to move quickly, but because the bird was still 15 steps away, I didn't have to move that quickly. So, in one smooth yet controlled motion, I leaned forward and swung the gun like I would on a lazy clay pigeon.

By that time, the bird was running away and even farther to my right, so I planned to swing the gun past his beak and slap the trigger, hopefully piling him up in a heap at 35 steps.

That's when it got weird. Oh, I kept swinging and slapped the trigger. The bird, however, stopped on a dime at 30 steps -- just long enough to see 2 ounces of Winchester's finest zip past five yards to his right.

The gobbler flew away, of course, and my buddies laughed hysterically. Oh, one of them had been filming the hunt, too, and he had me re-enact the scene in a cutaway.

Like I said: One of those days.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get great deals on all the new turkey gear you'll need for Spring 2011.

dewey

RE: Conclusion: Dread and the Fugitive Mind

Postby dewey » February 16th, 2011, 4:53 am

The turkeys aren't supposed to stop when you are leading them, not fair[:D][:D] Well at least you and your buddies got a good laugh out of the situation.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

joeturkey

RE: Conclusion: Dread and the Fugitive Mind

Postby joeturkey » February 22nd, 2011, 12:32 pm

Been there, done dat and laughed till I cried in my boots!!
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

Return to Decision Time