The Winnowing

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

The Winnowing

Postby allaboutshooting » October 9th, 2012, 8:08 pm

At the World Championship Still Target Shoot, for one and one-half days, we shoot 12 gauge and 20 gauge full-power 3” shotshells, one after another. In squads of 10, men, women and youth, we shoot. Each target from each shooter in each squad is scored and each squad winner (along with winners and runners-up from prior state and regional events) advances to the semi-finals which begin at the second half of day 2 at 1:00 P.M.

Then the "winnowing" begins.

All of those winners shoot more 12 gauge shells and 20 gauge shells until the finalists in each class have been determined. Traditionally, it's been a “Final Four”. This year there were 5 positions in the 12 Gauge Open and only 2 shooters, who shot against each other at the end of the contest, in the ML Class.

In order to win the class, and be named World Champion, a finalist in each class must win 2 times.

These were the finalists this year, with their number of positions (seats) in the finals with an * to indicate the winner:

12 Gauge Open

*Steve Conover – 3
Clark Bush – 2

12 Gauge Hunter

*Brian Sloan – 2
Chris Scott – 1
Clark Bush – 1

20 Gauge Open

*Steve Conover – 2
Karie Scott – 1
Clark Bush – 1

20 Gauge Ladies

*Amanda Fox - 2
Karie Scott - 2

JAKES (Youth - 17 and Under)

Jacob - 1
*Alex Fox - 2
Caleb Gilreath - 1

ML (Black Powder) Class

*Brian Sloan
Steve Conover

I'd like to add my congratulations to all of the winners and to all who shot in the event. I'd also like to add my thanks to all of the staff members from the NWTF who volunteer their time each year to officiate the World Championship.

Lastly, the event could not be held without the financial support of Environ-Metal, the makers of Hevi-Shot products. Cases and cases of Hevi-13 shotshells were fired at the championship and were again the choice of all of the winners.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

Re: The Winnowing

Postby Steve_In » October 10th, 2012, 10:04 am

Good shooting Clark. How many rounds did you fire over the course of the shoot?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 10th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Steve_In wrote:Good shooting Clark. How many rounds did you fire over the course of the shoot?

Thank you. I shot in 3 classes and Doris shot in 2 classes so that kept us shooting most of the time for the 2 days of the event. We kept a record of all of our shots, so I can look that up and let you know. I can tell you now that it was a "whole bunch" of 3" shells.

Thanks,
Clark

Sloppy_Snood

Postby Sloppy_Snood » October 11th, 2012, 11:17 am

Looks like Indian Creek Shooting Systems swept all 6 classes! :shock: 8-)

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 11th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Steve_In wrote:Good shooting Clark. How many rounds did you fire over the course of the shoot?

Doris and I shot 145 rounds of 3" turkey loads. She shot 62 and I shot 83. That means I shot a round about every 12 minutes and Doris shot a round in just a little less than every 20 minutes for 2 days, since we shot for about 10 hours each day with 1 hour off for lunch. Between the 2 of us, we shot all of the classes except of course for the JAKES (Youth) class. We're a long way from qualifying for that one.

I should add that there were no qualifying rounds for the ML class, just the 2 shooters who'd shot it in state and regional shoots had a shoot-off to see who the winner would be. We've never shot in the ML class.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting