Grouse

WillowRidgeCalls

Grouse

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 6th, 2012, 9:56 am

Headin up north for a week of grouse/woodcock hunting next week. Hopefully the weather will be good with little wind and some sun. The colors should be good up there and the birds be plentifull, it'll give the dogs a good workout and get my snap shooting back up to snuff. I haven't been there since last spring turkey hunt, so it's a good chance to get the cabin opened back up and any work that needs to be done on it? Taken my 16 and 28 sxs's which I haven't shot since the last time I was there, so it'll be nice trying to hit something with them again, and give an old man some needed exercise :lol: . It will give me a good chance to check the turkey populations out up there also, and hopefully stay away from the wolves with the dogs.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Grouse

Postby Gopherlongbeards » October 6th, 2012, 11:33 am

Have a good trip Scott! I haven't been out yet this year for grouse, but talked to a friend of mine who hunted the Sandstone, MN area last weekend. Woodcock were plentiful, and they bagged a few grouse. He said they weren't relating to water sources as closely as he would have expected them to with the drought. Food for thought, good luck :D

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » October 8th, 2012, 9:04 am

Good luck. I'm planning an up north grouse next week too. ;)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 8th, 2012, 12:07 pm

best of hunts to ya Scott . Sounds a lot of fun with that little 28 double .

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » October 8th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Heading north to my cabin right quick for some ruffed grouse huntin.

I have a SxS 16 & 28 too...great minds think alike...eh? :D

I plan on checking on the turkey pops and maybe even reducing them a little.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » October 10th, 2012, 9:06 am

sounds like good times to me....good luck to all
David

You never know, unless you go

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 13th, 2012, 2:20 pm

Had a good trip, but the weather wasn't so nice. Snow showers thur. and fri. morning early. There were a bunch of birds, the least I put up was 4 per hunt and I had one area that I put up 13. I wish I'd of had more time to hunt, but I only had 3 days, so I hit as many places as I could, just walking the old logging roads. Still a lot of leaves on the trees so shots were close, 3 sec. and the bird was gone. All the birds I got were full of red berries and leaves.
The wind was bad thur. afternoon, had 2 birds get up right in front of me and I never heard them. Most of the birds were in the open woods areas that had small pines and poplar. Ended with 9 birds total, and a lot of misses, most times you'd put up 2/3 birds in a bunch. Good to see a lot of family bunches and a lot of birds. Didn't find any woodcock, I have a couple places that hold a few, but nuttin there?
Only seen 1 wolf, a dark brown with a black tipped tail, ran across the road into the cabin and out into the marsh. Seen a couple other hunters and heard a lot of shooting. It was a good hunt and everything went well.
Did not see any turkeys or sign of them.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Wisconsin